Car dock and sleep

rawburt

Reaction score
Just a quick question, I just picked up an oem motorola car dock (and home dock). On the home dock it stays lit up and does not go into sleep. But when I have it on the car dock, it acts as normal and goes into sleep.

Can someone please help me out with getting around this.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I just picked up an oem motorola car dock (and home dock). On the home dock it stays lit up and does not go into sleep. But when I have it on the car dock, it acts as normal and goes into sleep.

Can someone please help me out with getting around this.

Hmmm, it shouldnt do that. I never let the phone go into sleep when it's charging.

Settings, Application Settings, Development. Check "Stay Awake".

Edit: I "think" it's because the car dock doesnt activate the clock program like the multimedia dock does. The car dock just holds the phone horizontal, and the multimedia dock activates a program which blocks the sleep functionality.

I dont have a car dock, but I assume the phone charges in it, so this should do it.

Last edited:

Mateles

Reaction score
I use screeble light so it's on when it's in horizontal / vertical mode (like in the car dock).

GerryG35

Reaction score
I have the car dock and while mounted the phone honors the display timeout setting unless it is powered by the USB cable. I also found out that Latitude updates your (GPS) position much more often when not running on the battery.

OP
R

rawburt

Reaction score
So I have to change the settings every time I want to use the car dock? Thats pretty disappointing.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The car dock uses a magnet to turn on the navigation mode of the phone that displays maps and other navigation tools. The home dock uses a magnet (flipped over the other direction) to engage the homedock app that displays the clock and weather.

My phone does not turn off in either mode. Well, let me add that in both docks my phone is plugged into power so maybe that is it. Using GPS in the car and not being plugged in results in a drained battery within an hour or less for me so it always is plugged into the lighter for power while in the car. I didn't have to touch any settings.

OP
R

rawburt

Reaction score
My phone does not turn off in either mode. Well, let me add that in both docks my phone is plugged into power so maybe that is it. Using GPS in the car and not being plugged in results in a drained battery within an hour or less for me so it always is plugged into the lighter for power while in the car. I didn't have to touch any settings.

I haven't tried it with the car charger yet, I'll see what happens

noisufnoc

Reaction score
i just switch my screen time out to the highest setting. kind of a bandaid but it works. i'm open to suggestions too.

ShowTime

Reaction score
The car dock will never keep the phone from sleeping. Unless you are using navigation (not just maps), or have the phone plugged in, it will always sleep based on your timeout settings. There is a setting on your phone that keeps the phone awake while charging and this is why it stays awake in the home dock, and also why, the only way to keep it awake in the car dock is to be actively using it or have it plugged in.

Last edited:

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
So I have to change the settings every time I want to use the car dock? Thats pretty disappointing.

download an app called "Setting Profiles." You can set it to never shut off the display when connected to the car dock along with a multitude of other options. I love it.

jasonb

Reaction score
download "toggle screen timeout" from the market. put the icon on one of your home screens. when you want to disable the timeout tap the icon once. tap it again and it'll go back to your default setting. this is what i do in my car dock.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Screeble which was mentioned early on in this thread.