Home Dock Question

M

Matth3w

When you plug the phone into your home dock to turn it into an alarm clock, even with the dimmer, does it still emit way too much light?

I just bought the phone and haven't gotten it yet...and was wondering about that dock as well...previous smartphones I've owned like the G1 still emitted way too much light to be used as an alarm clock because they lit up half the room and the wife and I like to sleep in mostly darkness.

Aximtreo

Reaction score
Dock Question

No, it doesn't put out too much brightness. I've had mine for 6 weeks now and have not found I need to raise or lower the brightness in the dock at night. It will be interesting to see more responses.:icon_ banana:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Never pay attention to it myself...course I can sleep anywhere anytime.....

Reaction score
no problem. it probably will. or if i can remember there might be an app for it but it doesnt show the weather (which I like) but it does show the time in a much less bright way but I forgot the name of the app :(

dogwolf

Reaction score
IMO the stock app is too bright, and the desktop wallpaper is ugly.

Agree with badass, Bedside is worth it if you have a dock. After installing it, I commed with the creator. According to him, the lowest setting developers can access at this point is 10%. I'd actually prefer a bit less.

Also, the 4 hot keys on the screen stay much brighter than the clock characters. He said any more control over these is currently locked out to 3rd party developers, so when you turn down the clock brightness, these end up cranking out most of the distracting light.

Finally, the 4 hardware hot keys on the Droid light up in dock mode (unnecessarily IMO) and stay lit all night.

Ideally, a dock night app would let you dial down the brightness even more, would dim more the screen hot keys and the hardware hot keys, until the screen is touched (waking them up).

Maybe 2.1 will address this. But for the time being, get Bedside.

Cheers.

92slammer

Reaction score
if you get the clock from 2.1 it makes it so that you can dim it....i installed it today and it works very well.....just search for 2.1 applications

CatsTide

Reaction score
another plus for bedside is that it mutes all sounds except for calls(you can mute them too if you want) and whitelisted sms's.

OP
M

Matth3w

For the time being I'll get bedside when my Droid comes in. But I'm going to wait until the four navigation buttons can be turned off when on the dock before I buy it. Incredibly stupid oversight, imo.