Capacitive or resistive touch screens?

sbaker34

Reaction score
I definitely prefer capacitive, resistive touch screens make me so irritated for some reason within using one for 10 minutes I want to throw my phone down a well. Mostly because they don't pick up unless you hit them hard enough and often it will read your touch but not do anything.

I do rather like capacitive touch screens and I wish that I had not made my phone purchase so full of touch screen hate after trying to text with my old resistive phone. I picked the droid instead of the 1ghz desire but I really don't need the keyboard as badly as I thought. Capacitive screens are much different from resistive screens as far as ease of use.

Your preference?

UNC

Reaction score
Everyone except for women with long fingernails and people with prosthetics prefers capacitive.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Everyone except for women with long fingernails and people with prosthetics prefers capacitive.
That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Resistive touch screens have their place. For example, I prefer the handwriting recognition of a resistive touch screen. However, for cell phone or non-medical tablet use I think capacitive touch screens are the way to go. :)

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I miss the old days when I was pulling a stylus out of my phone for fine operations and the phones had handwritten recognition and more complicated menus . I like the sensitivity of capacitive , but I wish it would've been capable of finer operations .

UNC

Reaction score
That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Resistive touch screens have their place. For example, I prefer the handwriting recognition of a resistive touch screen. However, for cell phone or non-medical tablet use I think capacitive touch screens are the way to go. :)

Is it really that harsh? I guess I should've said "prefers capacitive on cell phones".

I do agree however, that resistive does have a niche to fill. Such as POS's.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Harsh was the wrong word. :) Rough, maybe, but I was focusing on the woman part. Kinda sexist was my first choice, but... Yeah, bad me. :)

Over in England you can get dirt-cheap Android-powered cell phones that come with styli attached so you can do things with the much-cheaper resistive touch screens. At that point it makes sense.

UNC

Reaction score
Harsh was the wrong word. :) Rough, maybe, but I was focusing on the woman part. Kinda sexist was my first choice, but... Yeah, bad me. :)

Over in England you can get dirt-cheap Android-powered cell phones that come with styli attached so you can do things with the much-cheaper resistive touch screens. At that point it makes sense.

It wasn't sexist lol! Long fingernails won't work on capacitive! I was being serious!

I agree with what you've said though. "Hong Kong specials" are resistive and are also dirt cheap.