Can't send text to one particular number?

pattib

Reaction score
I'm unable to send a text message to one specific person from my Droid. The error message isn't terribly hepful-- it's just a generic unable-to-send sort of thing. This happened last night when I was desperately trying to reach him and had to resort to old-fashioned talking (the horrors!), and it's still happening this morning.

The friend is a US T-Mobile customer. I'm able to send to another T-Mobile customer with no problems, and the friend can send me text messages. I can also send to him via Google Voice, so at least I have a workaround.

Has anyone else encountered this before? I'll call Verizon about it at some point, but I have a hard time imagining that I'll get a good answer from them.

Loribelle

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, but I don't get any type of message. It just won't send. I noticed, also, that when I start to type the person's name or phone number, it doesn't find it in my contacts...even though it IS in my contacts. Am I doing something stupid?:)

OP
P

pattib

Reaction score
I don't know. The person I'm sending to is in my contacts and is accessible normally via them.

bigpiper223

Reaction score
i had the same thing going on with my phone as well. It wouldnt recognize the area code for my wifes number which is on the same plan as i have so i went to the store and they gave me a new phone and i dont have any issues with that anymore. just other issues now.

jns.das

Reaction score
Hey guys, try altering your contacts from this format:
(555) 555-5555

To this:
1-555-555-5555

Let me know if that fixes the problem. I discovered a major flaw in this OS that neither verizon nor motorola could help with... SMS messages and txt msgs stopped suddenly due to this formatting and I found that if you re-enter the numbers without the dashes eg. 15555555555 the goog puts the dashes in automatically for you... Hope it helps...
Jay

bigpiper223

Reaction score
after i got my new phone from verizon i didnt have that problem anymore. just different ones now. so its not the entering format its something else.

Lafond

Reaction score
Mine pops up an error saying to enter the area code. Her contact info was synced from my facebook account with the xxx-xxx-xxxx layout that works fine for everyone else. She has T-Mobile also and is the only one I've tried to text that has that provider. Maybe that is part of the problem?

FoFa

Reaction score
i have not had that problem, but i did have one issue with a contact sync'd from gmail, and I found an embedded space after the email address that was causing issues (not sure why, but that seemed to be it) one of those you can't see it so nothing looks wrong things.
Not saying that is your issue, just thought it worth a mention on the possibility is all.

Lafond

Reaction score
Well I'm not sure about the OP, but enev when I had my contact list cleared and entered the 10 digit number the old school way it popped up with the same error.

OP
P

pattib

Reaction score
This seems to have been fixed in the 2.01 update I received yesterday. One of the first things I did was send a text message to the formerly-problematic person, and it came through just fine.

Xith

Reaction score
I believe an old version of the OS used to place a 1 in front of the numbers, along with the dashes and such. I removed the number 1 from the problem number, and all my texts are finally going thru!