Can't search in browser

The Physician

Reaction score
Can't search from the top bar in the browser without it force closing. I've tried clearing the cache/data, deleting cookies, and I did wipe data before installing 1.1.1.

Any idea what could be causing this?

I'd love to not have to go to Google.com everytime I want to search.

It functioned fine on other ROMs, and pre-1.1 sapphire.

jaykae

Reaction score
I too have this issue, it will work sometimes typically when first using it, but after trying to reopen it it will keep force quiting. It involves more than searches as well. Entering a web address like facebook.com will crash it as well

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
The Physician

The Physician

Reaction score
Mine just never works, but web addresses work fine.

I wonder why everyone is experiencing a wide range of different problems on 1.1.1.

I'm probably going to switch to a more stable ROM in a few days if these problems don't get sorted.

captdroid

Reaction score
Maybe try a different kernel / voltage / speed. No problem here with FC's in browser entering address's or searching. Running Sapphire 1.1.1

Tsusai

Reaction score
If you've removed the system google search (one that came with gapps update) in order to install the version from the market, that issue will occur. Quick test to know is to hit the search button on the phone. If search doesn't come up, you don't have google search as a system app anymore. just trying to search in the browser URL box instead of through a web page will cause the browser to run the search through the system app, which isn't there. The result in my tests is the Force Close.

SOLUTION!

(Originally Posted by jntdroid )

In Terminal (3 lines):
sysrw
ln -s /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox*.apk /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
sysro

And reboot

This tells the phone the system version is actually linked to the market based one, and the cool thing is, is that you can do market updates with it :)

Also, If you chose not to install the google apps package, download Google Search from the market, and run the commands