Can't receive picture texts (mms)

no...not a one in a kind, but smart phones usually have the capabilities in them to act like a basic phone....you can argue all you want but call a cellphone tech on any cell phone carrier and cell phone manufacturer and ask for the technical side. but other then that im dont looking at the post i said what i said to help others with the problem this post originated on and to try and teach you something to so i wish everyone luck with their bionic if they had a similar problem :)

If you plan to teach users something, make sure you have the facts straight so you do not forward mis-information.

I did.. Verizon tech support says you HAVE to have a data caonnection (not wifi) to be able to send receive MMS messages.

I also supplied you with a TON of links. Are you saying that all these people are lying in their posts?

Also, it is really simple to re-create.... turn on wifi, try to send an MMS message... it fails. Turn off all data... it fails. Then on 3G/4G, it sends.. . try it yourself!

Last edited:
I just did the wifi test... it sends... it turns on the 3G on it's own and you can see the wifi symbol and 3G symbol at the same time... both are blue and the 3G arrows are working on and off sending the data... when it's done , the 3G shuts off....

I also did the data drop test a few weeks back when the verizon network went boinkers... I didn't notice that I didn't have data ata the time but sent an mms to a friend in philly... about 5 minutes later I noticed it was still "sending" and then noticed I didn't have 3G connection... I sat there and monitored that whole deal cuzz I was just curious... it took FOREVER but it went... like 20 minutes later... we never got our 3G back up untill 7 hours later and many parts of the country had the same problem that day...

Not tryin to get in this arguement but just sayin what happened to me... just took a minute and did the mms with wifi on again and same results... seems my bionic grabs a 3G signal when it needs to without me having to manually turn off wifi... confirmed

Try this.....

I was having the same problem.....very aggravating!!! Go into your phone settings, battery and data manager, data delivery... Make sure Data enabled is checked. This will allow you to send your MMS messages using the data connection while you are on wifi. JuiceDefender will reset this, though-may have to change some jd settings or just uninstall.

Good luck!

b00mb00mchuck, what I think happened with your 3G outage is that the 3G signal was connected briefly enough to send the MMS, but wasn't stable until 7 hours later.

Here are the facts:
  • SMS is sent through the voice network (this is why there is a 140 character limit).
  • MMS is sent through the data network.
  • There is a bug or a setting or possibly a ROM or people with Tasker set up to turn off data while on wifi, etc... that makes some phones to where it does not turn on the data while on wifi to be able to send or receive MMS. (This worked correctly for b00mb00mchuck).
To be a bit more technical, MMS messages are sent over a combination of the voice network for the header (SMS), and HTTP over the data network for the body. More accurately: the MMS body is always POSTed via HTTP to an intermediate gateway where the target recipient goes to GET the body via HTTP which is indexed by a URL on the received header.

This is very easily tested... turn off data on your phone and try to send a tiny picture via MMS. You will see that it does not send even after hours of waiting.

There may be a way to change where the MMS messages are routed by changing the APN. Here is a thread that shows how to do this for T-Mobile, maybe there is a similar setting that can be done for Verizon phones, but changing this setting may have other adverse effects.
How to send MMS (multimedia) messages without DATA PLAN?

Back