Can't push a new framework

Ghost1990

Reaction score
Well first off I wanted to say that I'm really new to the phone customization thing, actually just rooted my droid over the weekend and I've had to do like 6-10 sprecoveries already, So I know I make mistakes, but part of the learning process.
Ok, now I've managed to get my phone all setup with the ROM/ Kernal I want, but now I want to do a little more customizing, before I installed UD i was able to change the carrier name (on the stock ROM) but when I tried to change it on UD using the same process I did before I get a constant boot loop, so I scrapped that idea for a while, than I wanted to change the UD png on the lock screen, So I made a new PNG with the same dimensions as the stock PNG, pushed the framework to the phone using terminal Enumulator, but I still get a boot loop. Any ideas or suggestions?

kingpg

Reaction score
your not the only one having that kinda of issue because I tried making mods to Nex Theme on the new UD 1.0.0 and I keep getting boot loops even after properly editing the framework.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not much of a Terminal user but I do know how to put a framework on a phone. 1st question... how are you incorporating your new png file into the framework? Are you decompiling the framework? Are you just making a new image and merging it into the framework? Also, just an FYI... there are 3 of those images, not just 1. (pulling from memory here).. rotary_land_lock, lockscreen_land and lockscreen

OP
G

Ghost1990

Reaction score
I was opening the apk with 7zip like I was told to, to change the carrier id.
and i was just overwriting the android-logo-mask.png

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have edited the framework on UD 1.0.0 through and through with no problems - instead of pushing the framework-res via Terminal I suggest using an update.zip file...if you cannot get ahold of one I can upload one for you this afternoon

Sent from my Droid

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
when you open it with 7zip, are you opening it as "open archive"? If not, you should. Also, editing an xml while still zipped up... I can't even do that. You can change the images though. My guess is that you are just opening the zip file and it's breaking the signing of it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
that's what i'm thinking too...i've made edits to both images and xml files in UD's framework and have had no issues. somewhere it's being broken and when you push it you're pushing a broken one...as tp76 mentioned maybe an update.zip is the best idea?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
By the way, if you want to make an xml edit, the best way would be to decompile it, make your edit and then recompile it. That way nothing gets broken. Images you can just move back and forth with 7zip. (Most images anyway)

OP
G

Ghost1990

Reaction score
Ok, so When i have my framework file on the root of the SD card I move it to my desktop, right click -> 7 Zip -> open Archive, then when I find the file(s) I want to edit I copy them to my desktop, edit, save, than copy back to the .apk (kept open, while editing files) and overwrite the existing files in the apk, close .apk, remount SD card to phone, open terminal enumulator execute the following commands
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
reboot
than I get the boot loop, than I do a full nandroid restore.

Can someone help post a link(s) to what I need todo, Like i said I'm really new to all of this, and this is the only method that I know. Someone said something about decompiling the apk, I looked at APK Manager, and was looking at screenshots and one of the options was to sign the apk, but only if it wasn't a system apk, which ones are system? I don't know..
TP said something about an update.zip, now I know those are really easy to install, how do I set one up? is it just the files and directories I want to update/ overwrite? do I need to do anything special to the zip or is it just a plain ol' zip file

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
eh I don't know about pthat pulling it to the desktop thing. You open that file up and it's broken. Just decompile the UD, make your xml edites, recompile it and then use 7zip to merge your images in.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
<snip> - instead of pushing the framework-res via Terminal I suggest using an update.zip file...<snip>

For what it's worth, any time you edit the framework-res.apk file and do NOT try to apply it via the recovery system either an update.zip as tp76 or manually you are most likely to have the FC's, and random reboots.

Understand that applying it via an update.zip (as tp76 offered) means that you are applying it while your phone is booted into the recovery system, so for what it's worth, I'll call that auto apply.

Manually applying here (requires adb, but hey, that should have already been a pre-requisite to modding our android phone, lol):

Plug your phone in to your computer. Manually boot into your custom recovery. Depending on which custom recovery you have, find and select the option to mount /system. Then push your framework-res.apk to /system/framework/framework-res.apk. Again, using the recovery system's menu's, unmount system. Reboot. Profit.

Tiny little final note. If you haven't ever used adb, nor thought about using it, theres no time like the present to start, or better yet, before this. You would be suprised how much this little app can do to your phone. root, unroot, fix, un"brick", install, uninstall, push, pull, theme, what? You haven't got it yet, lol?

good luck

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back lastnight - here is an update.zip for CW and one for SPR, they are both empty, just place the .apk into the according folder ie the framework-res.apk goes in the system/framework folder and applications go in the system/app folder - and then flash it as an update.zip through recovery with no wipe...the only changes that will take place are the changes you made to the according .apk that was placed in the update.zip...you can use these over and over

Any questions feel free to ask -

Attachments

• Update_Template_for_clockwork.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 195
  • update.zip
    192.3 KB · Views: 153
OP
G

Ghost1990

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the empty update.zip's. Using that method I was able to change the carrier ID and the UD logo on the lockscreen. One more queston though whats the big difference between SPR & CW? I've been using SPR, is CW better?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most people will agree that SPR is the best recovery - Clockwork is just an alternative