can't install verizon's new TB update

wheelieInCali

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I got my Thunderbolt the first week that it came out and have loved it. I rooted it and loved it even more. Then these Verizon update requests kept coming in and coming in. I rejected them and planned to keep doing that until the other morning they forced it on me. The update failed because the phone was rooted I assume. Whenever the phone tried to install the update and reboot I keep getting the android next to an exclamation point. I then press menu and go to clockwork mod and it has a list of options. I've tried them all. My latest, last resort has been to factory reset the device and sign in all my accounts just so that I have a phone. I even formatted the SD card hoping to get any update files off for a normal reboot. Verizon is still pushing the update and it still fails to install every time, giving me the error image:

20684-nexus_one_android_hard_reset_3_super.jpg

at this point I'm not even worried about having a rooted phone, I just want my phone to be reliable and not to be hassled by Verizon every five minutes to update my phone. I've tried setting it back to stock using the instructions here:
[HOWTO] Restore to stock for root users and non-root users UPDATED 5/17/2011 - xda-developersut get an error that installation was aborted because of signature error. Any suggestions would be appreciated. FYI, I can't post to the above linked thread because I do not have enough clout on their site.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Are you flashing those files through hboot? I have used jcases unroot method and it worked flawlessly.

OR you could just install the stock (rooted) OTA ROM and that should resolve the problem too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
W

wheelieInCali

Reaction score
I was trying to use Jcases unroot also and didn't realize or remember that you have to hold volume down and power at the same time to enter hboot. I read through the replies to his unroot method and figured it out. So, I'm back to the stock ROM but the update still fails. The message I get now is "download failed." It doesn't try to reboot or anything. At least now it is back to stock so I can talk to Verizon about the problem and have a stock phone with no trace of it being hacked. Any ideas why the update won't install or what I can do? Also, if and when I get the update installed can I root it again? Thanks.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Not sure why it wouldn't be able to download the OTA. Did you flash both files? The first unroots and puts you back to a stock ROM/recovery, and the other installs the s-on bootloader. Although, I only flashed the stock ROM/recovery file once and i was still able to d/l & install the OTA with the s-off bootloader.
If I were you I'd be sure to be completely stock and then take a trip to VZW. Show them at the store what's going on.

OP
W

wheelieInCali

Reaction score
I flashed both downloads first the large file (longer install) and then the smaller shorter install. It's finally back to stock and I'm working around the update. I'll go to Verizon and do the download eventually. This might be a dumb question but with the method for rooting the TB, you have to revert to a previous version which will not include the update, correct?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Not sure I follow your question, but I know there is a new root method, Revolutionary. I think it works with any build version ... I think! Being that I am already rooted I haven't looked into it.

porsche996

Reaction score
I flashed both downloads first the large file (longer install) and then the smaller shorter install. It's finally back to stock and I'm working around the update. I'll go to Verizon and do the download eventually. This might be a dumb question but with the method for rooting the TB, you have to revert to a previous version which will not include the update, correct?

Not anymore. Look into the "Hack" section of this forum, and you'll find a link to my "How-To" Guide to root WITHOUT losing any data, and it's extremely quick (5 to 10 minutes, at most).