can't install new theme, phone force closes

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
i have a rooted droid running bb v0.4. a few weeks ago, i switched to the golden elegance theme and i noticed my phone was running slower and had more force closes. i don't know if it has anything to do with the new theme, but just to make sure, i decided to switch themes today. i made a backup, and downloaded another theme using rom manager. when my phone rebooted back up, i noticed my old theme was still there and the download was unsuccessful. now my force closes are worse than ever. half the time it wont even let me go into rom manager. i tried recovering back to my old theme, but that won't work either. when my phone boots back up it just stays how it was before. i don't know if its my rom thats doing this, or the theme, or maybe an app i have thats making my phone crash. how can i fix this? i was thinking of doing a factory reset, using titanium backup to backup all my apps and settings, and installing a brand new theme. is that the easiest way? and will doing a factory reset erase my rom?

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
i just did a factory reset and it didnt work-won't even let me into rom manager now....anyone have any ideas?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Can you reboot into recovery manually? I.E., hold the 'x' button down while powering your phone on, holding the 'x' button until your phone boots into recovery, do not release it any sooner.

If so, then restore your backup. If not, we'll cross that bridge later.

More info. Unfortunately when changing themes, one needs to re-install the unthemed rom again first. Then apply the 'new' desired theme.

What you probably did by doing a data/cache wipe was remove ROM Manager from your phone, but that does not change your ClockworkMod Recovery image as that resides in a different place on your phone.

good luck

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
I notice with putting on themes on phones, it sometimes causes issues with force closes. If you are using CWR, try excuting the fix permissions in the Rom Manager to see if that clears up anything. If not, just like the person mentioned above, detheme your existing setup and reapply the new theme.

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
OK thanks for all your help i figured it out. Is there an easier way to detheme a rom other than restoring a backup?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK thanks for all your help i figured it out. Is there an easier way to detheme a rom other than restoring a backup?

Yes, install the Rom you are running again and just wipe cache, not data, you will then have an unthemed Rom

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
i thought my phone was fixed but now i'm having problems with it again. i switched roms, and i was having a lot of luck. i decided to give bb one more chance though, so i restored one of my old bb backups. it's been stuck at the m logo for some time now. i pulled the battery, tried getting into recovery mode, and no luck. it's stuck at the m logo and i don't know what to do

edit: sorry ignore that- i got it working. i still don't know why the backup didn't work though. is it possible it is bb that's giving me all this trouble?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Actually yes. Although there are hundreds of people who swear by Pete's stuff, I personally don't really use his stuff much. I have used his baseband updates, but back in the early days I tried his stuff and found some bugs then and even now read about quite a few people having troubles with his stuff. I am NOT bashing him or his work, this is just my opinion and personal observation(s). I have been using the rom in my sig for weeks now without much of a hitch. Why don't I upgrade to the latest Sapphire since that's what I am on? Because of all the hiccups I have read about of late, plus they haven't done anything in their updates that introduces anything all that new that I feel I would need. I am still waiting for CM 6 to come out of it's "RC" stage.

Ultimately if you still want to give BB a go, use Rom Manager's 'fix permissions' function and see if that fixes your force close issues.

good luck