Can't get to "Settings"

dhbpac

Reaction score
Some very weird things happening to my DX: icons for some apps started changing randomly (apps seemed to work fine), back-arrow hard key not working right on some apps, random reboots, Pandora starts playing automagically after taking DX out of CarDock, etc.

So ... today I was downloading some music via doubleTwist (USB), then Windoze Explorer crashed during download and I can't see the DX on my Windoze PC when it comes back up.

Somewhere in there I activated the text-to-speech using Settings. I tried to get back into Settings to deactivate text-to-speech, and now I can't get to the Settings - the unit just highlights the Settings box & sits there. Tried to power down - same thing! Have to pull the battery to power off, but nothing is fixed on power-up!

I can start most apps okay if they're on the desktop, but trying to start any others is NOT working.

Ready to take a hammer to this thing. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
The theme of the day for me...you'll need to factory reset. You'll want to do what you can to backup important info. Make sure you know your gmail account info. You should probably copy your contacts to SD card because it's not uncommon for them to only be partially backed to gmail based on settings and preferences. Go into contacts>menu>more>import/export>import to sd card.

You'll need to do a backdoor reset since you can't get to settings.

1. Turn off phone
  2. Press and hold Power key + Home hard key to power on the phone and bring up a triangle with an exclamation point inside next to a green Android graphic.
  3. Press Search hard key to show the Android recovery menu.
  4. Tap to select "wipe data/factory reset" (you can also use Volume buttons to scroll up or down in this menu)
  5. Press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen prompt (camera button can also be used to confirm selection)
  6. Handset will ask you to "Confirm wipe of all user data"
  7. Select "Yes -- delete all user data"
  8. Press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen prompt to start wipeout of phone, handset will begin to format handset showing progress with multiple lines of ellipses (....) (camera button can also be used to confirm selection)
  9. Handset may take from 5-20 minutes to format.
  10. When format is complete, press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen (or use the camera button) when prompted to reboot (Reboot system now will be highlighted)
  11. You will see either an open box and the green android graphic when handset is rebooting (or the red DROID eye graphic).
  12. Handset will be cleared of previous personal data, and you will need to start over with initial set-up process.
Anyways, I can't see any other option because your phone is just not functioning well enough for you to try something else, which might include removing recent add-ons or changes.

OP
D

dhbpac

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Works great now, *UNTIL* I try to enable the text-to-speech functionality. That's when things go south, so I won't use that anymore.

Have you heard of this before?

hymnsinger

Reaction score
Text to Speech Fix

Thanks for the tip. Works great now, *UNTIL* I try to enable the text-to-speech functionality. That's when things go south, so I won't use that anymore.

Have you heard of this before?

When your droid is in text to speech mode you have to doubletap the settings menus (in red) to advance to the next menu. I found the solution quite by accident! :happy:

Hymnsinger

rjko

Reaction score
Your suggestions did not work for me. settings never came up - any other suggestion? This is a droind incredible purchased in May 2010 and was for Verizon. I am going to use it only as a wifi devise and am trying to rest it, but all it ever does is ask me to select a language and then asked me to call e number to activate the phone

The theme of the day for me...you'll need to factory reset. You'll want to do what you can to backup important info. Make sure you know your gmail account info. You should probably copy your contacts to SD card because it's not uncommon for them to only be partially backed to gmail based on settings and preferences. Go into contacts>menu>more>import/export>import to sd card.

1. Turn off phone
  2. Press and hold Power key + Home hard key to power on the phone and bring up a triangle with an exclamation point inside next to a green Android graphic.
  4. Tap to select "wipe data/factory reset" (you can also use Volume buttons to scroll up or down in this menu)
  5. Press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen prompt (camera button can also be used to confirm selection)
  8. Press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen prompt to start wipeout of phone, handset will begin to format handset showing progress with multiple lines of ellipses (....) (camera button can also be used to confirm selection)
  10. When format is complete, press Menu hard key under "Ok" screen (or use the camera button) when prompted to reboot (Reboot system now will be highlighted)
  11. You will see either an open box and the green android graphic when handset is rebooting (or the red DROID eye graphic).
  12. Handset will be cleared of previous personal data, and you will need to start over with initial set-up process.
Anyways, I can't see any other option because your phone is just not functioning well enough for you to try something else, which might include removing recent add-ons or changes.

James118

Reaction score
Thank you

1. Turn off phone

Thank you,
My android reset as instructed
God bless you