Can't find where to drag files to on PC

hero

Reaction score
I know how to properly connect the phone to pc....i even double checked the instructions and read the FAQ. done with a blackberry and done it with an iphone.

my pc is showing the little green arrow on the bottom right by the clock, but i can't find any icon or location to drop files onto the droid with. nothing is showing up in my computer either.

anyone experience the same thing? I'm working off a new HP Laptop, with windows XP i believe.

does this make sense? basically once connected via usb i'm not seeing anywhere i can begin to drag files over to the phone.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know how to properly connect the phone to pc....i even double checked the instructions and read the FAQ. done with a blackberry and done it with an iphone.

my pc is showing the little green arrow on the bottom right by the clock, but i can't find any icon or location to drop files onto the droid with. nothing is showing up in my computer either.

anyone experience the same thing? I'm working off a new HP Laptop, with windows XP i believe.

does this make sense? basically once connected via usb i'm not seeing anywhere i can begin to drag files over to the phone.

On my computer it pops up like you just inserted a SD card, with an autoplay and will ask you the steps you want to take.

OP
H

hero

Reaction score
see that's what i would expect...it's not doing that and leaving me confused.

cougar3429

Reaction score
Have to click the top of the screen on the phone "Notifications" and enable the USB.

OP
H

hero

Reaction score
yeah...click on "mount" right? done that.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I would try to do first would be go ahead and turn your phone off. Then take the battery out and then remove the MicroSD card. Then put the MicroSD card back in and then put the battery back in and turn it on. Then try to mount it to your PC again.

cougar3429

Reaction score
I was having an issue where the phone kept saying "SD card is busy" and that I could remove it. Once I remounted it while plugged into the PC it worked again. Also make sure Debugging is on (the phone) which enables file transfers.

Is there any extra drives in your My Computer folder? The folder I put the music in on the phone is called "100ANDRO". Does anything happen to the PC? Also when you click on the green arrow on the PC (Safely Remove Hardware), what does it have in the list to remove?

Last edited:
OP
H

hero

Reaction score
turning off the phone and removing sd card/ reinserting didn't help.

when i click the little green arrow to remove device it shows "Motorola A855 USB Device"

where can i find debugging on the phone?

cougar3429

Reaction score
The only way I know so far is when you plug your phone in. It gives you the notification. Pull down the notifications and one says USB debugging connected. When you click on it, it allows you to switch it between on or off. Default was ON for me though so it may not be the issue. The other option in the notifications like we talked about before was USB connected.

OP
H

hero

Reaction score
i'm thinking this is most likely a computer issue...not the phone. so why would a computer recognize the usb device but won't let you access it? i'm gonna try it on someone else's desktop pc.

cougar3429

Reaction score
FYI my computer tries to "install" drivers for the droid every time I plug it in. It will fail saying it can't find them. Turning the USB and mounting the phone makes it accessible though. Good luck, sorry I couldn't help. I just got mine today too hehe.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FYI my computer tries to "install" drivers for the droid every time I plug it in. It will fail saying it can't find them. Turning the USB and mounting the phone makes it accessible though. Good luck, sorry I couldn't help. I just got mine today too hehe.

If everything we suggest doesn't work, and noone else here can help, i think the next best option would be to call up verizon's tech support, and see if maybe it's just a defective unit. (It happens sometimes)

Guindalf

Reaction score
Drop down the USB icon and touch the USB storage line. You will then get the oprtion to mount the drive and it will work. If it says there's no SD card, just repeat the process.

OP
H

hero

Reaction score
ok it's a computer thing...or maybe a work firewall thing. i don't know. but my laptop won't allow me to access any thumb drives inserted into the usb slots ( or access the droid ).

now my co-workers desktop tower didn't recognize anything either when inserted in the front. but when we tried it in the back of the tower it popped open. he didn't have any music but i was able to drag over a windows media player sample wma track to test it. clicked the music app and the song was in there.

i'm not sure where to go next now...haha! thanks for all the help though. anyone have any new ideas based on the new clues?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had that on a few on the computers i deal with at my work. Sometimes the USB is set whacky.