Can't find mp3 files! help!

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
I moved my music from itunes to the droid using doubletwist. I told it to sync, waited for it to do its thing, and then disconnected the droid and opened the music app. there it was all nice and neat, all the songs in the correct album, etc. A month or so later, I was trying to add some album art to a playlist. I found directions on a forum (it might even have been this one) and they said to just dump the desired picture in the playlist folder, and it should show up. I opened ASTRO, opened the file labeled "Music" where to my suprise, instead of seeing the Artist, Album, etc files I had assumed the music app was pulling its data from, I saw one folder which contained the one new album I had downloaded from Amazon since buying the phone, maybe a dozen files labeled with the names of various artists (all of them empty) and a very messy list of loose songs, most if not all of them in a format the phone said it didn't recognize (.m4a, i think). It wasn't even all of the songs I had, just a rather random assortment floating there. I quickly opened the music app and looked through it, but everything was there, nicely organized the way it had been, everything played properly etc. I left the Music folder and started looking through some others - I found one called doubletwist, but there wasn't any music in it, or in the folder labeled mp3. I have looked through all the files in ASTRO that seem to be labeled anything music-related at all, and yet I can't find my mp3s despite the fact that the music app seems to have no problems locating them. Does anyone know where they might be and why this has happened?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did you use the search function in Astro to look for *.mp3 files on the card? That will scan through all folders and subfolders and hunt them down for you.

OP
J

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
I tried that, but it will only find the ones that I bought from Amazon, not any of the ones I put on with doubletwist or windows media player.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have an unrelated question for you. how much music in GB did you put on your phone? i tried to put a large amount, just over 10 GB, with doubletwist and it didnt work

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried that, but it will only find the ones that I bought from Amazon, not any of the ones I put on with doubletwist or windows media player.

I have a feeling that you're searching from within a folder rather than from the "root" of your entire file system. (I could be wrong, of course.) But just in case, try this.

() Open Astro
() Select "UP" to move to the root of the SD card file system.
() Select "Search" and enter "mp3" in the "name contains field.

If you still cannot find your songs in any of the folders on your SD card, you'll at least know that you searched thoroughly. (Apologies if this is absurdly elementary for you.)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you by chance using a Mac? If so, make sure you are looking at the correct folder. I'm not sure why but the Mac OS creates several duplicate files which appear at the top of you SD card.

I use a Mac. I chose not to use DT instead, I mounted my Droid, created a folder "Music" then opened iTunes and did a click and drag for each album. Admittedly, it took some time but I was able to move everything without any issues.

Mike

OP
J

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
since itunes is an apple program and my PC runs windows, I mean

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, iTunes works on both platforms so you can drag and drop. Were you able to locate the file with your music?

Mike

OP
J

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Well, when I click one one of the loose files floating in the music folder it says something like it can't recognize the file type, but just to test it I deleted one and then checked the music app and the song was no longer there. I figure the "can't recognize file type" thing must be a problem on ASTRO's end of things. I did a bit of googling and it turns out that the Droid can play .m4a and .wma files, - doubletwist must have just dumped the songs in the music folder and used some kind of tag on the individual files to tell the music app which album/playlist to put it in. Guess the music was there all along. silly me. I'll put it all in folders manually and see if I can get it to see album art from them. Thanks for all the help.