Cannot Uninstall Skype on Droid 2

ssif21

Reaction score
I've tried to install Skype from my Droid 2 using Uninstaller Pro. (I found it really obtrusive because it kept launching itself and using memory). It no longer shows up on the installed program list for Uninstaller Pro, but the icon is still there and the program still launches. Any ideas on how I can kill it?

Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've tried to install Skype from my Droid 2 using Uninstaller Pro. (I found it really obtrusive because it kept launching itself and using memory). It no longer shows up on the installed program list for Uninstaller Pro, but the icon is still there and the program still launches. Any ideas on how I can kill it?

Thanks.

Quit worrying about it. Droid will handle it if it's using too much memory Droid will kill it. There is no need to worry about apps running in the background.

OP
S

ssif21

Reaction score
But it keeps relaunching itself every time I stop it. And it is using memory.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't think you can get rid of it without rooting.

Can't you just select the d2 keyboard? It shouldn't launch if you don't use it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But it keeps relaunching itself every time I stop it. And it is using memory.

It's going to do that and so what if it's using memory? Are you an ex blackberry person? You don't have to worry about apps using memory on the Droid unless you get a message about it.

I have a D2 with all kinds of stuff running in the background and I never worry about it. That's because I stopped using the blackberry mentality and just let Droid do it's thing. It's not causing any issues with your Droid, you're just obsessing about it because that's how you're use to thinking. Think differently. New OS, doesn't work like the one you may have been use to.;)

OP
S

ssif21

Reaction score
Even though I never use it, it periodically re-appears in the running applications list, so I assume it is launching itself. And my system information now shows 80% of my RAM used with only the background stuff running. On a PC, that would be bad. I assumed it also was on the Droid.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
1.) Root your phone.
[if you haven't done so allready...]
- if you don't know how... google search; "doroot.bat" and follow the first link.
2.) Download Root Explorer (it cost a few bucks)
3.) Using Root Explorer, navigate to:
/system/app
4.) Press the button in the upper right corner labeled "Mount R/W" so that now it reads "Mount R/O"
5.) Now scroll down until you see:
"Skype_mobile.live.apk"
(In order to view file extensions you may have to change Root Explorer's preferences to detailed mode.. but I think it uses that by default)
6.) Press your finger on the file to pull up a menu.
7.) When the menu pops up choose rename; change the file extention from ".apk" to ".bak" , so now its;"Skype_mobile.live.bak"
8.) Change the Mount R/O back to Mount R/W
9.) Exit and restart.

Skype will no longer run.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!
When set to R/O, Root Explorer will enable you to delete the file rather than rename it, however this is not a good idea:
- when new android updates are released you wont be able to get them unless you have all the stock apps on your device (including bloatware such as Skype)

Changing the extension to ".bak" however, completely disables the app, but when a new release of android becomes available the process is easily reversed;
- simply change the extension back to ".apk" , download and install the system update; and then afterwards change it back to ".bak" to disable it once again.

***Additional Info***
Skype is just one of many apps that come preinstalled (and cannot be uninstalled conventionally), is un-needed, hoards system resources and drains the battery. These bloatware apps all can be safely taken care of using the method described above.

-Do a google search for "bloatware thats safe to remove from Droid" to find a list of all the apps that can be safely disabled using this method.
-Then decide which ones you would like to keep, and change the rest to ".bak". If you change your mind you can just switch it back.

+++Alternative Solution+++
1.) Buy Titanium Backup Pro
2.) Make a back up all your apps with it
3.) In the preferences enable "Chuck Norris Mode"
4.) You now have the power to delete any app you want, just be careful and deliberate if you choose this approach; only target apps you know for sure are safe to delete.
5.) When its time to update the android system just use titanium backup to restore the bloat temporarily and then afterwards your free to repeat the procedure.

###Other Safety Precautions###
Droid X Bootstrap: use this app to make a full backup of your phone before doing anything.

ROM manager: use this app to manage your prexisting backups or to initiate bootstraper to make additional full phone backups whenever you want. This way your always in the clear if you mess up; you won't run the risk of turning your Droid into an overpriced paperweight.

...Rooting your phone will unleash its full capabilities, however it will also provide you with access to files you shouldn't tamper with... so just be aware of this, and consider spending a little extra time to make backups incase you need to restore your phone to an earlier point in time...

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX