Cannot make calls Activity Dialer (in process com.android.phone) is not responding

mcflied

Reaction score
I cannot make calls or send any text messages.

I get this error message:

Activity Dialer (in process com.android.phone) is not responding

I have rebooted the phone, taken out the battery, put it back in... and restarted the phone 3 times and still the same problem persists. I can't even dial 611 to reach verizon's tech support. The only thing I haven't done is a factory reset and I have already customized the crap out of my phone.... I don't want to have to factory reset it.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

--mcflied

OP
M

mcflied

Reaction score
I should also mention that I haven't installed any new app right before this problem occurred. Also, from time to time, if a friend sends me one text message, I will receive it duplicated like 15 times. Sometimes it's only duplicated 5 times. What is taking over my droid? lol

mcflied...

OP
M

mcflied

Reaction score
Also, yesterday... I called a friend... and as I called them and they answered... we chatted for about 3 minutes... and then my phone was calling her again on her other line....

It only occurred during this one call. This happened about 3 times during that call... and has not happened since.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
These stories get crazier and crazier, like the Droid really does have a mind of its own. Factory reset would seem to be your only option.

I have my Droid on all day and nothing has happened so far. I got it the day it released.

pilot25

Reaction score
I cannot make calls or send any text messages.

I get this error message:

Activity Dialer (in process com.android.phone) is not responding

I have rebooted the phone, taken out the battery, put it back in... and restarted the phone 3 times and still the same problem persists. I can't even dial 611 to reach verizon's tech support. The only thing I haven't done is a factory reset and I have already customized the crap out of my phone.... I don't want to have to factory reset it.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

--mcflied

I got this message too but I'm sure it was the "missed call" app I installed. I uninstalled it and everything has been normal. Well, normal for a new phone with a lot of bugs.

otaku

Reaction score
Maybe before a factory reset you could try clearing the data from the Dialer and Messaging apps? I don't know what this would do, but could be a last ditch before a reset. Saved me a reset with my e-mail problems :)

Home->Settings->Application Settings->Manage Applications

Hit Menu->Filter

Choose Running

I noticed two Dialer apps (Dialer and Dialer Storage). Click on each and click the Clear data button. Then do the same for Messaging. See if this helps your situation.

OP
M

mcflied

Reaction score
So, I reset the phone. What was cool, was that it did not completely wipe the phone. My pictures are still there, and all the apps I downloaded and installed are there, however all I have to do is click on them and it will reinstall them. Phone works as normal, and is now not doing any weird things. I did have to reset up my contacts and email accounts.

What I really like about this phone is the way it makes me feel like I have a computer instead of a limited handcuffed phone. It's awesome!

-mcflied

Chief

Reaction score
Yeah I have that problem too right now with the dialer. Can't dial out or get voicemail. Can receive incoming. I also have a problem where the time on the top right stops. I did a factory reset on Sunday night to correct the time problem but I still have that problem. And now I have the Dialer problem. Oh I also received duplicate texts too but I think that was right after I did the factory reset so I thought nothing of it.

shamu124

Reaction score
Droid Activity Dialer

I noticed the problem after installing a program called Quick Dial...I am not 100% sure if that is the cause. Did anyone else install that program and have the problem?

Kerry

Reaction score
I had QD too and had this problem. Not sure if was the Alps fault or not.

littleboy

Reaction score
I had this problem today and was forced to do a factory reset. I did not have the Quick Dialer program installed, so don't know what caused it. Irritating, to say the least.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
I had a similar problem this morning. My wife called me, and I tried and tried to answer the phone. Ten swipes later, it finally answered but came up with an error that said: "Activity phone (in process com. android phone) is not responding" .

Im pretty laid back, and dont get in too much of a tiff if some of the "apps" on my phone dont work. I realize that they are created by third parties, and dont reflect on the phone as much as they do their creators (for the most part) . But when my PHONE wont work as a PHONE, it gets under my skin.

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
I'm with Redls1bird on this one. I have had this issue occur about three times now. The first time I did a factory reset and all was fine, but the last two times I have not and it's gone away on it's own.

I don't have QuickDial. I uninstalled Handcent, Fringe, and another app just in case, but still don't think that is the source of the problem. Did anyone else figure out what's causing this?

Brian7

Reaction score
I had the same problem, took my Droid to back to the store and had a tech look at it. His solution was that I had used up to much of my internal memory......I know, I know...I thought the same thing, this is not supposed to be an issue.
So I went about uninstalling a whole bunch of my apps until I got my internal memory down to about 150mb used and I try to keep it around that level. I have not had the problem since.
I had every single problem that has been described in this thread and when I reduced my internal memory usage it cleared up all my problems....I didn't even have to factory reset the thing! So take it for what it's worth, apparently our Droids have a problem with handling a maxed out internal memory.

jerry62

Reaction score
I had this same problem today and before temporarily (unable to place calls). Today the problem would not go away until I ran an application that used the network. Very strange. Similar issues with other functions that lockup, such as downloads that are stuck. Difficult to pinpoint exactly what is causing the problems. Would be nice to think that some techies from Motorola are monitoring these forums!