Cannot Delete a Contact

hinky

Reaction score
Using a Motorola Droid, just purchased, I imported contacts using CompanionLink. All was good initially. Now I cannot delete some contacts. I tried the menu key and "delete contact" and that didn't work. I tried holding down on the contact and choosing delete, that didn't work. Turned of gmail sync too, rebooted, that didn't work either. Deleted all info. Contact now "unknown" but it still cannot be deleted.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
Not sure about this one, but I'd use a PC to sign into gmail and see what things look like there. Contacts on the droid aren't like "traditional" phones. All of your contacts that are in gmail are accessible from the phone, you just choose what you want displayed. This is how you can, say, list only contacts with phone numbers in the list, but still have the auto complete come up for an email. Log in from a PC and look over your contacts there, after on your phone, try contacts-menu-display options, to investigate further.

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
In GMail the contacts listed total about 300. I have at least 600 more in Outlook and on the phone. For some reason many of them, including this one, do not appear in GMail, the account synced to my phone.

cpinto

Reaction score
Using a Motorola Droid, just purchased, I imported contacts using CompanionLink. All was good initially. Now I cannot delete some contacts. I tried the menu key and "delete contact" and that didn't work. I tried holding down on the contact and choosing delete, that didn't work. Turned of gmail sync too, rebooted, that didn't work either. Deleted all info. Contact now "unknown" but it still cannot be deleted.

Open the edit screen for the contact, and clear all the data from each field. Scroll to the bottom, click the MORE Arrow, and be sure all that info is cleared out.

After this, you will be able to delete it.

Craig

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score

Open the edit screen for the contact, and clear all the data from each field. Scroll to the bottom, click the MORE Arrow, and be sure all that info is cleared out.

After this, you will be able to delete it.

Craig
Nope. It just says "unknown contact" and refuses to delete any way I know how.

More serious problems - After importing my contacts using CompanionLink and more contacts dumped in from Facebook, MyBackup Pro will not back up contacts without SQL errors. It is choking on blank fields. You have to add in "US" to many of the entries to fix the problem, impossible when you have hundreds if not over 1000 contacts. Worse when you can't even delete contacts.

This is a serious problem. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue.

cpinto

Reaction score
If it will not delete, be sure everything is removed from every field.

I also renamed it to "A", then it would delete.

I know, very strange.

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score

I know, very strange.

I used a third party app called contact cleaner or delete contacts. Ripped everything out of the Droid and starting again. This is a real pain. I have also learned to NOT use CompanionLInk's software with the innovation. Unfortunately a good idea but nothing is compatible. Right now Android's Outlook and contact sync is a total mess, unfortunately.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I know, very strange.

I used a third party app called contact cleaner or delete contacts. Ripped everything out of the Droid and starting again. This is a real pain. I have also learned to NOT use CompanionLInk's software with the innovation. Unfortunately a good idea but nothing is compatible. Right now Android's Outlook and contact sync is a total mess, unfortunately.

If you look on the right hand side of this forum there is a small ad about syncing Outlook and Droid. I think it's about 30.00 but I hear it works real well.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Using a Motorola Droid, just purchased, I imported contacts using CompanionLink. All was good initially. Now I cannot delete some contacts. I tried the menu key and "delete contact" and that didn't work.

Indeed we found this just a few days ago.

Some in my team indicated that if you EDIT the contact, save it, then delete will work. I see you may have tried it, and this isn't always the case.

I'm guessing this is a data artifact from the initial push of Contacts using CompanionLink USB Sync. We know there are a lot of flags and the information is stored in a very quirky format internally. Maybe a flag of some type is not set right. We'll have a fix for this in our next release.

I'm expecting our next release shortly, perhaps Wednesday Feb 24, 2010. The delete Contact Record issue will be fixed with this update.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
Thanks Wayland - I was about to send you an email with all the items I've uncovered. I didn't purchase it yet and am doing evaluation (since it's $50 and somewhat stings us Motorola Droid users watching the HTC people!) I also probably need more sync options.

I love what you're trying to do but Android is probably not making things easier. I don't want to discourage anyone from using your great product, probably the best on the market right now. It's just a very rocky road trying to figure out what the repercussions are from using your very well thought out improvements. Not everything is cooperating.

I'll be in touch and thanks for your update here.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Aw Hinky, it's only $39.95 not $50! And it includes telephone tech support.

I've watched comments on the HTC Sync so keep in mind that products can look great until you try them. You can easily google it up.

We continue to make dramatic improvements. I can't wait until you see this week's update. We lost nearly two months trying to support the onboard Calendar. Now that we know it is too quirky to be dependable, our efforts are a lot more productive and it will really show. I'm planning on having the complete development cycle completed by May 2010, just over two months from now. At that point, we'll have completely wrapped Contacts and Calendar so no Droid bug or deficiency will interfere with how you can handle Outlook data on the Droid (i.e. Categories, large notes, company sort, etc).

All these changes will be free updates, of course, to the many people who are buying the product now. If you want to wait, we can later issue an extension code to try again. Actually, we'll put in a new trial period in May anyway, so you won't need a code for a new trial.

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
Aw Hinky, it's only $39.95 not $50! And it includes telephone tech support.
That's 25% the price of the phone with a 2 year contract (and it seems to say that two way sync requires the $50 package.) With everything you have to pay for, it's very, very, very unexpected to pay for this, which has been standard in most PDAs for TEN YEARS!!!!

That's not to blame you, but Moto or someone should have paid you guys to include some version of sync in the standard package. It has been done before and you should have been paid by them, no doubt. It's rather embarrassing to put out a product like this... unless you're trying to force users to put away MS Outlook and Office... hmmm....

I've watched comments on the HTC Sync so keep in mind that products can look great until you try them. You can easily google it up.

We continue to make dramatic improvements. I can't wait until you see this week's update. We lost nearly two months trying to support the onboard Calendar. Now that we know it is too quirky to be dependable, our efforts are a lot more productive and it will really show. I'm planning on having the complete development cycle completed by May 2010, just over two months from now. At that point, we'll have completely wrapped Contacts and Calendar so no Droid bug or deficiency will interfere with how you can handle Outlook data on the Droid (i.e. Categories, large notes, company sort, etc).

All these changes will be free updates, of course, to the many people who are buying the product now. If you want to wait, we can later issue an extension code to try again. Actually, we'll put in a new trial period in May anyway, so you won't need a code for a new trial.
As I said, the effort here is absolutely commendable. If there is a product that you get what you pay for it's this. I don't envy your task. After playing with Android, it's a quirky, mistake prone beast that needs work.

And as I type to you, I now have 3-5 duplicates for a lot of my contacts. There is just no way to sync properly and no way to use Facebook or any other contact sync. There is no duplicate handling, etc. I didn't have this problem with my prior phone, which I shall not name, which did include Facebook sync but not Google sync.