Cannot connect to L2TP/IPSec CRT VPN

fiendish

Reaction score
Hello,

Having a little trouble with VPN settings on my first ever smartphone (Droid R2D2). I am trying to mirror the settings I have in my OpenVPN client on my desktop computer, but am having difficulty connecting. I haven't rooted the phone yet, so I don't think there is a third party app out there I can use. Droid 2 says it has VPN support and there are settings for it, so I would really like some help getting this to work if at all possible.

For my VPN client at home all I needed was my personal key (client.key) and my personal certificate (client.crt) and then the server certificate (ca.crt).

When setting this up on the droid, I noticed first off, there is nowhere for me to enter the client key, only the server certificate and client certificate.

Second, I am never prompted for a username and password when using my desktop VPN client. Why am I prompted for a username and password when trying to connect to the VPN on my droid? I think that is only necessary for cisco VPN stuff. I am forced to enter a user and pass so I just put in gibberish.

Anyway, I enter in all the information I can, server name, ca.crt, client.crt, but did not enable the L2TP Secret. When I try to connect I get:

"Unable to connect to the network. Do you want to try again?"

Are there any log files I can look at that have more information than "can't connect?".

I will probably need to see what is going on at the VPN server side when I am trying to connect with my phone. However, I was hoping maybe someone here has the same type of VPN connection (requiring client cert, key and server cert with no username or password) and would know what to do...

Sincerely stumped,
fiendish

simba

Reaction score
OpenVPN uses a different protocol

I don't know if this helps, but if you google search for azilink, that actually installs openvpn on your droid (and uses it for usb tethering).

the L2TP stuff is a completely different kind of vpn (openvpn uses SSL).