Does Droid 3 have IPSec VPN like D2G?

zevs

Reaction score
I was just about to get a Droid 2 Global and use the built in IPSec VPN client to connect back to my company's Cisco VPN gateway (and suffer through getting the profile to cooperate with Group Authentication) when I heard that the Droid 3 was going to hit soon.

So, I waited until the Droid 3 was released, but now I can't find much information on if the IPSec VPN feature was carried over.

Does anyone know if the Droid 3 sports this feature?

droid100

Reaction score
It does but if your organization uses group authentication then it probably wont work... the default ipsec client doesn't appear to support it...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Z

zevs

Reaction score
It does but if your organization uses group authentication then it probably wont work... the default ipsec client doesn't appear to support it...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Does the Droid 2 Global differ in that respect or are they both equally limited when it comes to Group Authentication?

droid100

Reaction score
I would think that they're both limited in the same way because they're more than likely going to ship with the same android vpn clients but I don't know first hand...

leobg

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global has extra VPN client, aside from the android default one, which is a true IPsec client and can do pretty much anything if you craft the profile properly.
I read D3 gets the same extra client but supposedly better integrated with the system (assume they've joined the settings from Android default one with this one).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

droid100

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global has extra VPN client, aside from the android default one, which is a true IPsec client and can do pretty much anything if you craft the profile properly.
I read D3 gets the same extra client but supposedly better integrated with the system (assume they've joined the settings from Android default one with this one).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

You're probably right about them having the same clients but I must be missing something because there's nowhere to configure settings for cisco group authentication. Do you have a cisco group auth config setup? I think this is still an open issue but maybe you know something I dont...

Here's the open feature request for group auth:

Issue 3902 - android - Feature Request: "pure" ipsec vpn client (cisco-compatible) - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Last edited:

leobg

Reaction score
I get the feeling you are mistaking Google's Android VPN client with the one Motorola supplied with Droid 2 Global and Droid Pro.
Yes - it supports group authentication and works fairly well (except for the reduced battery life if you keep it connected all the time).
Here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/293469 you can read more on the topic. There is also a profile configuration example exactly for Cisco group authentication.

droid100

Reaction score
OK, you're right, it does support that type of connection... it doesnt work for me but thanks for that link! It's helpful to me!

Last edited:
OP
Z

zevs

Reaction score
It does. it seems to work better to

Better like integrated better so you don't have to mess with the profiles, or better like more reliable or uses less battery etc?

leobg

Reaction score