Can you own a Motorola Droid without owning a computer?

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Can you own a Motorola Droid without owning a computer?

I don't own a computer, can I use a Droid?

Will I be missing a lot of the Droids capacity if I don't own a computer?

If I have access to the Public Library computers, is that sufficient? (They generally do not allow you to store info on their desktop)

I'm under the impression that in order to use the iphone 3gs you need a computer. Is this the same for the Droid?

Your comments?

kev83202

Reaction score
The thing about android is you really don't need a computer at all, set up your google account on a computer and your all set :)

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
i've had my droid since the 6th, and i've plugged it into a computer only once, and that was to transfer some of my music to it.

you can easily use it without a computer.

Erich_F

Reaction score
I think it could replace a computer for some people. Also, you don't need to first create a Google Account on a computer. When you activate the Droid, the first thing you do is open a Google Account.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, to be honest, the Droid can't replace a computer. I seriously doubt you want to write a paper on a Droid with the screen size it has, or try to manipulate photos like you would with Photoshop or paint things on it like Illustrator. :)

While it is handy to look at the internet and get mail, I find having a nicer, larger screen of a laptop or a desktop computer easier on the eyes for websites and watching things like streaming movies with subtitles (Yes, I'm a purist when it comes to foreign media) that you can't get with a mobile screen. :)

If I want to watch dinky movies on a screen, I would get a PSP. ;)

Erich_F

Reaction score
My point was that many people use a computer simply to surf the net, email, and watch videos. For lot's a folks, a computer is nothing more than an internet portal.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you use it without a computer? Yes. I have only plugged mine up to transfer some pictures, which I could have copied from the internet.

RosarioM

Reaction score
i've had my droid since the 6th, and i've plugged it into a computer only once, and that was to transfer some of my music to it.

you can easily use it without a computer.

I used an FTP client to my NAS drive.. so you don't even need it for that :)

angelman

Reaction score
My wife has been nagging me to buy a netbook (mainly so she can watch hulu at work). I thought maybe I could get the droid as a "cheap" alternative, she also wanted a new phone. So far she has been delighted and has not asked for a netbook or laptop again. Of course she can't watch hulu on it.. yet but there are plenty of other distractions. Between two droids and the desktop we have a lot less arguments over who is using the desktop

volando

Reaction score
this is a good question... typing is the most problematic thing using the droid long term, as both the virtual and the physical keyboards are only ok for short texts. I wonder if you can plug in a real keyboard and use it as a peripheral? might need to root the phone for that, but could be worth a try