Can we get a concise, noob-friendly tutorial that covers radio update for rooted Dinc

dadajack

Reaction score
I apologize, but I am kinda tired of tabbing through 3 windows to follow instruction on the multiple processes required to get a solid froyo rom on my Dinc. I am not lazy, perhaps informationally challenged, but not lazy. I just want to have a checklist, with some instruction, that guides me through flashing my radio and getting everything in order on my SD for a ROM update. I like the ROM Manager app for installing custom ROMs, but I need to get a clear picture on what to do to upgrade my radio, without bricking or degrading call quality. Thanks.

If you know of an existinf tutorial, a link would do nicely. Again, muchos garcias. (I know that is misspelled, that's what makes it funny)

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It all depends on what setup you have on your phone.

If not rooted you are already ready to go. Follow this thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...dio-newest-version-does-not-require-root.html

If rooted and no s-off, you need to downgrade to a stock rom with stock recovery. Then dl'd the dinc_ota and rename to update.zip and flash through stock recovery. Look at this thread to downgrade and then previous link to do upgrade radio.

http://androidforums.com/all-things...ideo-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html

If s-off back up your sd card and format to fat32. Then download the proper PB31IMG.zip and put on root of sd card. Boot into hboot the phone will scan for the file. Itll ask you if you want to update. Make sure it says radio. Select yes and leave phone alone until it asks if you want to reboot now. Select yes again. Enjoy new radio.

See. Easy as pie. Now remember this is your best chance to brick so be careful.

OP
D

dadajack

Reaction score
So... the radio update is the real villian here, right? Oh well, I guess if I brick, Verizon is supposed to have more Dincs in stock now anyway. I would hate to pay the un-subsidized price, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks for the info. I will give it a try and let you know if i'm smilin or cryin later.:icon_eek:

BTW, how do I do a stock recovery? I have a nandroid backup of the phone that was created shortly after root. I do not know what the name of the file is that I should use though.

tktouch12

Reaction score
the radio update seems scary to me because thats all i've heard about bricking the device (the main thing that will brick it)

something easy would be great. (i dont have my inc yet.)

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you downgrade back to a stock you will have a strock recovery. And once you get there a heads up so you don't start freaking out. When you get to the redtriangle with an exclamition point. It'll seem like your phone is unresponsive. Just push the vol+ and power at the same time to get ya all the way into recovery.

Read everything all the way through. Understand everything. If I am coming off as a douche it's because I mean to. Radios are the most dangerous part of hacking this device. Be careful and don't rush.

OP
D

dadajack

Reaction score
... I wasn't able to glean much from your last post DP. I am stupid. If you don't mind, can you treat me that way? Actually, how about we just close this thread? I think I've lost my nerve anyway.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't lose your nerve. You can do this. I giving advice so I just want it known that this is a risk. That way if something goes wrong your not like "I hate that doug piston". Its not difficult just risky is all.

And I mis-stated a point. Radios aren't the most dangerous. Hboots are.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
... I wasn't able to glean much from your last post DP. I am stupid. If you don't mind, can you treat me that way? Actually, how about we just close this thread? I think I've lost my nerve anyway.

Before it's closed :) can I ask for a short explanation as to what the "radio" is? I understand "ROM" and "root" thanks to this forum, but radio still has me stumped! Thanks!!

ebottle

Reaction score
phone with explanation point

tried to update the radio on my un rooted phone. Downloaded the file and renamed it to update.zip. When I boot into update mode, I get a picture of a phone with an explanation point through it. What am I doing wrong?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
tried to update the radio on my un rooted phone. Downloaded the file and renamed it to update.zip. When I boot into update mode, I get a picture of a phone with an explanation point through it. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing wrong at all. Now press the power and volume up button. That will take you to the next menu to update from SD card. Now, when you renamed it, please tell me you just named it "update" and not "update.zip". Windows adds the zip extension automatically. If you named it the second option, the phone now sees it as update.zip.zip. And also, make sure it is in the very top tier of your SD card. Otherwise it won't find the file.

ebottle

Reaction score
still

power + up does not get it off the phone / explanation point picture. Notice before going into recovery mode that it looks at the files, but cannot catch the messages. Can someone repost the radio upgrade for the un rooted please.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Push them both at the same time. You may have to try a couple of times over aabout a minutes time. Some time its a little slow.