Can someone explain what plugging my phone into my computer does that I benefit from?

lucey

Reaction score
I use my ipod for music and I don't feel the need to upload to pictures from my phone to computer so why would I need to plug my phone in? Is it the only way I can update my phones software? And if so, how often am I supposed to do it? And is there other stuff im supposed to be plugging it in for? Thank you :eek:)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you dont want to transfer files to or from your phone, then there's nothing for you to gain by plugging your phone into your PC.

blackngray70

Reaction score
You don't have to plug your phone in for anything except to transfer files to and from your phone to your PC or vice versa. As far as software updates, that can be done OTA straight from your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, you don't need to plug into the computer to update but if you want to access your SD card plugging into your computer is an easy way to do it. You can also access your SD card via Files app on your Droid.

Now if you ever decide to root and add a custom ROM and run into difficulties you would need to sbf and that would require hooking up to a PC. But most everything you can do without using a computer, even loading apps that aren't in the Market.

You can even access the SD card via WiFi with an app called WiFi File Explorer Pro. It will give you an ip address to type into your computers browser and access the SD card via WiFi.

You may want to move a video file into the SD card like a movie or television shows. I prefer accessing the SD card by USB but if you don't want to you don't have to.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I plug mine in during the day at my desk for a charge...

1250x

Reaction score
newbee here...
if i plug my droid 2 into macbook pro with the supplied usb cable can i transfer photos and vid from the gallery to computer?
thanks

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
newbee here...
if i plug my droid 2 into macbook pro with the supplied usb cable can i transfer photos and vid from the gallery to computer?
thanks

Yep

Sent from somewhere...