Can someone explain the car dock to me?

jthorpe

Reaction score
Ok so this car dock sucks. I'm a police officer and with my Droid X docked, I could connect to my laptop in the car and get data via tethering when I needed it. Secondly, the stupid car dock that comes with the bionic causes the phone's car dock app to come up which is fine but each time you receive a text message, the thing tries to read it to you and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn off this text to speech readout crap. If you get a couple of messages together, the thing goes nuts. I can see that they might be trying to save you some heartache with texts or to get people to quit sending texts while using their dock, but it's not going to change anyone and it actually makes you concentrate on the phone more than you need to. I am not happy at all.

if anyone finds out how to turn this crap off, please let me know. .... and nice step back with the car dock app. The one on the X is much better.

lanza_david

Reaction score
So the costco deal is no good because it doesn't come with that cable and charger, does it?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Mateles

Reaction score
The combined audio/charging cable is great, but now the music doesn't shut itself off when I take it out of the car dock since I'm not unplugging the headphones.

Oh well, I guess I'll set up something in Locale for that.

Last edited:

mikryd

Reaction score
Use "plug in launcher" app. works great and will start any app on connect and close it on disconnect from usb port

mikryd

Reaction score
The combined audio/charging cable is great, but now the music doesn't shut itself off when I take it out of the car dock since I'm not unplugging the headphones.

Oh well, I guess I'll set up something in Locale for that.

Use "plug in launcher" app. works great and will start any app on connect and close it on disconnect from usb port

kurumatt

Reaction score
Well, they sent me the regular USB cable. Now I have another to add to the collection. So I went by my local corporate Verizon store and spoke to a manager about it to see if they could do anything for me. I explained to him that is was a better value for me to just return the dock to the store and order another from Motorola since it is $20 more and includes the cable and rapid charger while they are charging $20 for the cable alone. The manager agreed to sell me that cable for half price. I got the cable for $10.60 total, shipped. When I got home, I got back on the chat line with Motorola and explained what happened. The person on the chat promptly apologized and agreed to send the correct cable free of charge. I should receive the one from Verizon in 2 days and the one from Motorola within 5 days. If I actually receive 2 of the correct cables, I would be willing to sell one to recover my $10.60 since I will have no use for 2 of them. But I would really suggest that everyone either call or chat with Motorola and/or Verizon and try to get them to send you one since they should not have set it up this way in the first place.

Do you still have that cable for sale? I'll gladly purchase it from you...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Fytech

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, everyone. I got the bogus vehicle navigation dock from the Verizon store that is missing the cables. I called Motorola at 1 866 BUY MOTO and they're sending me the necessary cables free of charge. dancedroid

chriszuma

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, everyone. I got the bogus vehicle navigation dock from the Verizon store that is missing the cables. I called Motorola at 1 866 BUY MOTO and they're sending me the necessary cables free of charge. dancedroid

I don't know how you guys talked Motorola into sending you free stuff, but I just ordered the one on Amazon for $45, and returned my useless VZW one.