Can someone explain the car dock to me?

hiroprotagonist

Reaction score
Unfortunately for simplicity's sake, the usb out won't be able to power a stereo minijack output because usb is fully digital. The dock would require some sort of processing to convert analog audio out from the usb connector. The cable mentioned in the manual is a strange bird, because honestly I don't think something like that exists - not without a chip to convert the audio. Unless the Bionic has a non-standard usb jack with additional analog audio channels built in, which again is something I've never heard of.

PhontomF

Reaction score
Anyone know is it possible to use the phone in portrait mode when in the car dock? Mine stays in landscape even when I turn the phone portrait.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Anyone know is it possible to use the phone in portrait mode when in the car dock? Mine stays in landscape even when I turn the phone portrait.

I'm not sure if this will get you what you want, but I was just experimenting with the car dock and found that if I have the (Motorola) car charger plugged into the dock, but not plugged into a power source, the phone does not recognize that it's in the dock, allowing it to change to portrait mode when oriented that way. Plugging into a power source after inserting the phone might still allow it to stay in portrait mode. I can try this tomorrow, but right now I don't want to interrupt the discharge cycle of my battery.

Strangely, inserting the phone with the charger disconnected from the dock allows the phone to sense the dock, and subsequently connecting the charger to the dock (but not a power source) causes the blue ring on the charger to glow, indicating that it's actually drawing power FROM the phone.

PhontomF

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will get you what you want, but I was just experimenting with the car dock and found that if I have the (Motorola) car charger plugged into the dock, but not plugged into a power source, the phone does not recognize that it's in the dock, allowing it to change to portrait mode when oriented that way. Plugging into a power source after inserting the phone might still allow it to stay in portrait mode. I can try this tomorrow, but right now I don't want to interrupt the discharge cycle of my battery.

Strangely, inserting the phone with the charger disconnected from the dock allows the phone to sense the dock, and subsequently connecting the charger to the dock (but not a power source) causes the blue ring on the charger to glow, indicating that it's actually drawing power FROM the phone.

Thanks I'll give that a shot but I'm betting it will kick into car mode as soon as you plug in the power

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Thanks I'll give that a shot but I'm betting it will kick into car mode as soon as you plug in the power

I tried it a few minutes ago and placing the phone in the dock while having the charger plugged into the dock but not a power source, then plugging the charger into a power source after the phone is in the dock, DOES NOT trigger dock mode, nor does it force landscape orientation. This may be a temporary work around for some people until Motorola fixes this (assuming they consider it a problem in the first place).

PhontomF

Reaction score
I tried it a few minutes ago and placing the phone in the dock while having the charger plugged into the dock but not a power source, then plugging the charger into a power source after the phone is in the dock, DOES NOT trigger dock mode, nor does it force landscape orientation. This may be a temporary work around for some people until Motorola fixes this (assuming they consider it a problem in the first place).

Awesome I will try it out later, Thanks!

Calla969

Reaction score
Unfortunately for simplicity's sake, the usb out won't be able to power a stereo minijack output because usb is fully digital. The dock would require some sort of processing to convert analog audio out from the usb connector. The cable mentioned in the manual is a strange bird, because honestly I don't think something like that exists - not without a chip to convert the audio. Unless the Bionic has a non-standard usb jack with additional analog audio channels built in, which again is something I've never heard of.

The car docks for the Droid3, the Atrix, and probably the Photon and any other similar Moto phones do allow charging and audio from a single USB cable. This was the feature that I was most excited about because I hate having to plug things in instead of just dropping it into a dock. My dock didn't come with the correct cable, but apparently if you order it from Motorola instead of through Verizon, it costs $60 instead of $40 and it comes with a rapid car charger and the "Custom Audio and Power USB Cable". I was disappointed when my dock was missing this cable, so I got on an online tech support chat with Motorola. After a while, the tech offered to send the custom cable to me at no charge. I am pretty excited that it will work the way I thought it would. I will report back when I receive it.

Mateles

Reaction score
The car docks for the Droid3, the Atrix, and probably the Photon and any other similar Moto phones do allow charging and audio from a single USB cable. This was the feature that I was most excited about because I hate having to plug things in instead of just dropping it into a dock. My dock didn't come with the correct cable, but apparently if you order it from Motorola instead of through Verizon, it costs $60 instead of $40 and it comes with a rapid car charger and the "Custom Audio and Power USB Cable". I was disappointed when my dock was missing this cable, so I got on an online tech support chat with Motorola. After a while, the tech offered to send the custom cable to me at no charge. I am pretty excited that it will work the way I thought it would. I will report back when I receive it.
That's very promising. I did an online chat with a tech support guy twice on Saturday (same guy both times) and he said there was nothing they could do. He kept telling me that it should have been in the case, and I had the Verizon store on the line and they said none of their boxes had the right cable, plus it just says the 3.5mm cable on the side of the box.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Ok feels like an idiot, but why do you need a usb cable for the car dock?

Check the pic somsone posted earlier in the thread. It splits the USB out to an audio jack to run to your AUX IN port, so you don't have to plug it into the phone's headphone jack. It all feeds through the USB plug, which stays connected to the dock all the time.

PhontomF

Reaction score

Ok I tried it and found I need to start google navigation software first then I can plug the power in. If I just plug the power in w/o starting the navigation app it will kick into landscape mode for me. Oh well just so I know a way to make it work it's all good. Thanks!!

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Got my "official" Motorola Car Dock kit today. SO MUCH nicer than the Verizon one that I will be returning.