can ring tone be pur on internal memeory?

schatzy62

Reaction score
I have custom ring tones on my phone and they are all on the SD card. I want to find a way to put them on the internal memory so that when the card is mounted by my computer I still get the custom ring tones to ring properly..

Please do nto tell me to put the USB in PC mode. I CAN NOT run the phone in my car that way and have it hooked up to the USB port in the car. The USB on the Phone MUST be in USB Mass Storage to work with my car.

So the question is "Is there a way to put the custom ring tones on the internal memory where the basic ones that come pre installed on the phone?"

wdprice3

Reaction score
root your device
get root explorer from the market
use root explorer to move ringtones/notification tones/etc. from sdcard to system/media/ringtones (other other directory for notifications, etc)

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea, rooting and using the android app "Root Explorer" or the pc software "Android Commander" to move the files would be your best bet there.

I just run the ringtones off my SD card... just easier for me that way so when I upgrade or swap roms I dont have to deal with them...

OP
S

schatzy62

Reaction score
Yea, rooting and using the android app "Root Explorer" or the pc software "Android Commander" to move the files would be your best bet there.

I just run the ringtones off my SD card... just easier for me that way so when I upgrade or swap roms I dont have to deal with them...

Thanks it is much easier to run them on the SD card but as i expalined then they WILL NOT work when the SD card is mounted as it can not be seen by the phone. This then causes them not to work when the phone is connnected to the USB port in my car as to have it work properly with my car I must have the USB port set to Mass Storage Device.

root your device
get root explorer from the market
use root explorer to move ringtones/notification tones/etc. from sdcard to system/media/ringtones (other other directory for notifications, etc)

Thanks for the instructions but it is still not working.

I have rooted the phone and it it shows that I have permission to write to the directories.

I copied and pasted the ring tone (mp3 file) and then removed it from the SD card and it still shows in the Syetem>Media>Audio>Ringtones file but it does not show up as a selection in ringtones when i try to add it to a contact. Even converted the file to OGG and it still does not work. Any ideas why?

wdprice3

Reaction score
how did you convert it? that's not necessary anyways.
try removing the battery then booting back up, then it should be in the list (I had to do this to get mine to show up)

OP
S

schatzy62

Reaction score
how did you convert it? that's not necessary anyways.
try removing the battery then booting back up, then it should be in the list (I had to do this to get mine to show up)

When i originally put the MP3 file on the phone it poped up a window that siad something about the file my not play properly because of it's formatting. And no matter what i did, turn phone off, battery pull, it still did not want to work.

I just finished testing with a file converted to OGG in the lowest quality (96k) and put that in there turned the phone off an then back on and it worked.

Again thanks for the lesson on how to root and Root Explorer. I believe this will now work. The Final test will be in a little while when I go out to the car to test it all.

fflan513

Reaction score
How to run ringtones off SD card????

How do I run ringtones off my SD card? When I try to set a ringtone, only the ones on the internal memory are an option. help please.

fflan513

Reaction score
Solved

I found the answer with a little more searching.
"
you can make a folder on your SD card and name it media, then inside of that folder make one named ringtones, one named notifications, and one named alarms, whatever mp3 files you put into the according files will show up along side your stock notifications and ringtones in the sounds menu
__________________"