Can I use the different "From" addresses on my Gmail account in Gmail Android app?

avanpelt

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm looking pretty seriously at returning my iPhone 4 for a Droid X this Thursday when the DX is released.

The only question I haven't seen a satisfactory answer to thus far about the Android OS (2.1, in particular) is whether or not I'll be able to compose a new e-mail using any of the different addresses I have linked to my Gmail account within the Gmail app on the phone.

I only have one Gmail account, but I have two or three different e-mail addresses that the one account is receiving e-mail for. On the web, I can easily drop down the "From" field when I compose a message and choose which address I want to send the e-mail from. I know there's an option in Android to let me reply to an e-mail with the same address the e-mail was sent to, but I want to be able to compose a new message and choose which address to use. Is this possible under 2.1? Does anyone know if this ability is coming with 2.2?

Alternatively, if the Gmail app doesn't support this natively, I guess I could set up the different accounts as individual IMAP accounts which connect to Gmail's IMAP server, correct? This wouldn't be my favorite way to do it since I'd lose some built-in Gmail functionality, but I'd take that over not being able to compose messages from several of my different addresses on the phone at all.

Please advise. Thanks!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yes, inthe web interface you can go into settings and change the From:Infromation.

capturekz.jpg

OP
A

avanpelt

Reaction score
Yes, inthe web interface you can go into settings and change the From:Infromation.

Web interface? So, I have to actually launch a browser and can't use the native Gmail app to accomplish this? I already have the various e-mail addresses linked to my Gmail account through the web interface and can send e-mail as those addresses on the web, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to change the From address easily in the native Gmail app on the phone.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If you have more than 1 Gmail account in the app, Froyo 2.2 gives you the option to change email accounts when you compose.

2.1 does not have this functionality...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm looking pretty seriously at returning my iPhone 4 for a Droid X this Thursday when the DX is released.

The only question I haven't seen a satisfactory answer to thus far about the Android OS (2.1, in particular) is whether or not I'll be able to compose a new e-mail using any of the different addresses I have linked to my Gmail account within the Gmail app on the phone.

I only have one Gmail account, but I have two or three different e-mail addresses that the one account is receiving e-mail for. On the web, I can easily drop down the "From" field when I compose a message and choose which address I want to send the e-mail from. I know there's an option in Android to let me reply to an e-mail with the same address the e-mail was sent to, but I want to be able to compose a new message and choose which address to use. Is this possible under 2.1? Does anyone know if this ability is coming with 2.2?

Alternatively, if the Gmail app doesn't support this natively, I guess I could set up the different accounts as individual IMAP accounts which connect to Gmail's IMAP server, correct? This wouldn't be my favorite way to do it since I'd lose some built-in Gmail functionality, but I'd take that over not being able to compose messages from several of my different addresses on the phone at all.

Please advise. Thanks!

You would do this set up in gmail, or alternatively you can download an app called K9 that will allow you multiple email addresses to send from.

Take a look at your gmail account now and look in the settings. You will see there are instructions on how you can set your gmail up to send as another email account that you have linked to it.

If any of your accounts cause you an issue then you can use the K9 app. I really don't have experience with it but my understanding is that too can be set up to send email out with multiple account names.

Hope that answers your questions, and welcome to the forum.

OP
A

avanpelt

Reaction score
Ugh. That is frustrating! I can't believe Google didn't include this ability for their app on their OS.

I guess I could just set up an IMAP account for each address and point it to Gmail's IMAP servers then, right? I'm trying to avoid using e-mail in a browser on a phone if at all possible.

OP
A

avanpelt

Reaction score
You would do this set up in gmail, or alternatively you can download an app called K9 that will allow you multiple email addresses to send from.

Take a look at your gmail account now and look in the settings. You will see there are instructions on how you can set your gmail up to send as another email account that you have linked to it.

If any of your accounts cause you an issue then you can use the K9 app. I really don't have experience with it but my understanding is that too can be set up to send email out with multiple account names.

Hope that answers your questions, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Hook ;-)

I already have all my accounts linked in Gmail and can send mail from any of them within Gmail on the desktop; but I was just curious if it was possible to send e-mail as easily from the phone using the various accounts as it is on the desktop. I'll take a look at the K9 app.

OP
A

avanpelt

Reaction score
If you have more than 1 Gmail account in the app, Froyo 2.2 gives you the option to change email accounts when you compose.

2.1 does not have this functionality...

Very good to know. Thank you! I'll be eagerly anticipating the 2.2 update later this summer, then.

coastalchase

Reaction score
It appears this can't be done

I just updated from 2.1 to 2.2 on Moto Droid, and I don't see anyway of choosing. In my opinion, google is looking more and more like Microsoft....how unfortunate.