Can I flash newer nightlies from older ones with out wipe and dalvik?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insidious

Reaction score
Since I don't have ROM manager premium I'm wondering if I can flash the nightlies without wiping data and my dalvik cache each time. That would make life a whole lot easier, lol.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Asphyx

Reaction score
Since I don't have ROM manager premium I'm wondering if I can flash the nightlies without wiping data and my dalvik cache each time. That would make life a whole lot easier, lol.

Well first off you don't need rom manager at all to flash from CM...

2nd you probably can but any bugs you report will not be taken seriously if you did not wipe because we can't be sure if the problem is due to lack of wipe.

Once it's official you should be able to no problem but right now I would say it's an alph at least beta at best and depending on what changes are made during the day will determine if a wipe is needed or not.

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
I see, because I'm on nightly 22 only because I don't want to download a 100+ MB file every night and wipe data and dalvik cached just to flash. So this is some good news to me. I might just a flash one nightly a week.

Asphyx

Reaction score
I see, because I'm on nightly 22 only because I don't want to download a 100+ MB file every night and wipe data and dalvik cached just to flash. So this is some good news to me. I might just a flash one nightly a week.

What I suggest is find a release version that works best for your needs, set it up co mpletely and make a backup of it (in bootstrapper). Then you can try all the nightlies you want. If you want you can wipe data and cache to see if any of the bugs you notice go away and if not you can always run back to that good backup without issues.

You can even try them without wiping first and then if you like what you got you can back that one up and use it as a future starting point.

chickenmusket

Reaction score
I tried it...

I tried it on my SPH-D700. Prior to this, Cyanogen nightly was pretty good overall. Stable with a couple minor bugs (keyboard shift & symbol shift often have to be held while pressing key in some apps, not sure if this is Cyanogen's fault, but I never had the issue before in any other ROM, stock, Legendary, nor Marcusant), gps worked, bluetooth worked, etc. I had about 10 apps installed. I did this to test if it could be done, whether my apps would survive, & hopefully to fix the keyboard shift bug.

I flashed a slightly older stable version 10.0.0-epicmtd of Cyanogenmod over a newer less stable nightly (10-20121120-NIGHTLY-epicmtd). I backed up using CWM, wiped cache partition, wiped dalvik.

The result: Everything looks intact. It succeeded. Widgets all still there. The shift bug remains. I'll follow up as days go by if any problems arise. As of this writing (Nov 24, 2012, 630pm) I recommend doing it as long as you do a complete backup with CWM.

What I suggest is find a release version that works best for your needs, set it up co mpletely and make a backup of it (in bootstrapper). Then you can try all the nightlies you want. If you want you can wipe data and cache to see if any of the bugs you notice go away and if not you can always run back to that good backup without issues.

You can even try them without wiping first and then if you like what you got you can back that one up and use it as a future starting point.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Year and half old thread, closing this down. Any questions or issues please start a new thread in the appropriate sub forum.

Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.