Can an Android phone play a movie through a TV?

Natey2

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Smartphone and a Samsung HDTV. There is an app called Samsung Link that will allow me to transmit music, videos and pics from my phone to my TV, wirelessly, if both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Spey

Reaction score
Wow, thread revival from 2012 & three Samsung "Smart" TV's later and I have still not found Samsung "app" worth using or better options than previous mentioned for viewing/listening on TV from phone (still download & try but wind up deleting them in favor of other options).

My options/recommendations since 2012 still working well as follows:
DLNA for wireless playback from phone,
G-Mote app for anything on server network (also works as remote keyboard/touchpad for server-computer),
YouTube via direct beam to YouTube app on TV or beam via TwonkyBeam app to TV (or, if no wireless option, wired connection via USB and/or HDMI).

Update: Recently found a Comcast/Xfinity app (Xfinity TV Remote) that provides TV listings (SD & HD searchable) that allows push button channel selection from phone, via WiFi, from TV listings screen on phone. Functions like a TV Guide app that controls channel selection of TV from phone. Volume control would be nice upgrade for this app, but think it currently only controls STB (Set Top Box) so no volume control. Connection how's it work ... WiFi signal from phone through network to Ethernet-wired network connection to TV, then TV out dongle IR (Infrared) to STB to control channel selection. This IR connection also allows "Smart" TV to control the STB.

Has anyone tried Samsung Media TV (comments good or bad would be cool)? I recently downloaded, then stopped b-4 running because of requirement to create a Zappo TV account login.

Sent from my phone.

momo0223

Reaction score
Yes

There's an app what you looking for, called Shareon video. You don't need any extra equipment and It is totally free app!
It lets me play all my videos from smartphone and pc to the TV.
Your TV has to be DLNA supported and connected to the same wifi router with your smartphone.
I think this app is very easy to use and helpful to me. I'm sure this helps you too. :biggrin: