Can a rooted Xoom use wifi without 3G connection?

Miraval

Reaction score
You don't need to get a data plan but then u pay full retail like I did for 800 but they now make WiFi only that run 600 that will hit wal mart bestbuy and other retailers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Righteo, thanks. So then can the Wi-Fi only unit from Best Buy be upgraded to a 3G/4G plan at a later date by taking it to a Verizon store, for example?

cloudman7

Reaction score
No u can't it is just WiFi they will soon after offer a 4g hotspot for it or u can get one now but its caped that's the only reason I bought mine at full retail with the built in modem so I can root it and have unlimited data when its 4g ready.

Miraval

Reaction score
No u can't it is just WiFi they will soon after offer a 4g hotspot for it or u can get one now but its caped that's the only reason I bought mine at full retail with the built in modem so I can root it and have unlimited data when its 4g ready.

Thanks for the reply Cloudman7...from speaking with Motorola, the devices are the same but the factory settings are different. Suggests that upgrading a unit from Wi-Fi to 3G is possible, but VZ likely won't do it to attempt to make us buy their device. Would like a square deal w/o having to "root", but these companies are making it challenging.

cloudman7

Reaction score
Yeah its possible but u would have to send it in for the built in modem to be installed just like I have to send mine in when the 4g is ready but I don't have to pay since mine is already included in the price.

Snow02

Reaction score
Perhaps that's why you have to send it in for the 4G upgrade....so people don't remove the 3G radio and put it in a wifi model.