Camera on Prime. Better sensor?

hydro556

Reaction score
It appears from most recent rumors that the Prime is going to ship with a 5mp camera as opposed to the more typical 8mp.

I know a lot of people are getting tripped up thinking that automatically 5mp<8mp but I do not share this reasoning. I am more concerned about the quality of the sensor. I would much rather have a great quality 5 mp sensor than a crappy 8 mp sensor that was only designed to cram as many mp as possible on the sensor.

So, I know that the Prime's camera can be the best overall camera out there, even with the reduced mp, IF the designers were going for all out performance as opposed to just having a high mp number.

My question is, does anyone know if this is the case? Did the designers try and use the best sensor they could, and disregard the silly mp stat, or did they simply use an older 5mp sensor to save some money? I would be super happy if this is a departure from the same ole/same ole and a manufacturer actually was ballsy enough to depart from the typical ways of just trying to max out specs to fool the average consumer and instead designed a really good sensor focused on producing the best images.

I have no intention of blowing up cell phone pics to poster size, and am only interested in taking high quality images that can be zoomed in on to a reasonable degree and still have good resolution.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually the newest rumors form GSM Arena are saying the the Prime will have a 8MP camera.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
Actually the newest rumors form GSM Arena are saying the the Prime will have a 8MP camera.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well crap. That's too bad. Makes it less likely that they actually focused on making a better camera and instead just went with same ole same ole.

Unless we are really fortunate and they tried to keep the mp's but still used a quality sensor.

I just hope it is a good camera overall. One of the reasons my Bionic is going back is the sub par camera. I dont need the greatest camera in the world on a cell phone, (I have a D90, lol) but I do want the camera on my "latest greatest" phone to at least be superior to the camera in my year plus old Incredible.

D-Mac

Reaction score
Megapixel count has nothing to do with quality of sensor or picture. It only determines how large of a print can be made from the original. The skill of the photographer has far more impact than either of these two factors.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Sent from 3 miles south of Nowhere

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
Megapixel count has nothing to do with quality of sensor or picture. It only determines how large of a print can be made from the original. The skill of the photographer has far more impact than either of these two factors.

The Megapixel Myth

Sent from 3 miles south of Nowhere

Did you have a point, or is this just a random comment repeating what I said in the OP?

LOL.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Actually, my bionic sensor was good enough to capture a moving target, blow up still shot well enough to id a person and get them laid off for 3 days...
On the fly video at 65 mph... I'm keeping my bionic, lol.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
There are 15 year old cameras good enough to do that.

Motorola needs to step it up with cameras. It's not secret that they're horrible.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
People just need to learn how to use moto's cameras. They click, then click and its hazy, wonder why? No, it's not the greatest camera in the world but far from the worst.

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
People just need to learn how to use moto's cameras. They click, then click and its hazy, wonder why? No, it's not the greatest camera in the world but far from the worst.

Even though my Bionic is heading back to VZW, I would be curious to hear some tips on how to use the Bionic's camera. I spent some time with it trying to see if it was capable of reasonably good shots if you really took your time, and I ended up at the conclusion that is was not.

Maybe in a studio setting(or with spending way too much time trying to set up and snap the perfect shot) it can produce some decent shots, but that defeats the purpose of having a compact camera always on you in order to get an impromptu photo.

I mean, it sort of defeats the purpose if you cant quickly point and shoot. I may as well break out my DSLR and expensive lenses.

ETA- and the real kicker was that the camera on my HTC Incredible, which has been out forever, is easily a superior camera. That, to me, was inexcusable. This is supposed to be a top shelf, cutting edge device. It should at least be superior to 2 year old devices, no?

Last edited:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Even though my Bionic is heading back to VZW, I would be curious to hear some tips on how to use the Bionic's phone. I spent some time with it trying to see if it was capable of reasonably good shots if you really took your time, and I ended up at the conclusion that is was not.

Maybe in a studio setting(or with spending way too much time trying to set up and snap the perfect shot) it can produce some decent shots, but that defeats the purpose of having a compact camera always on you in order to get an impromptu photo.

I mean, it sort of defeats the purpose if you cant quickly point and shoot. I may as well break out my DSLR and expensive lenses.

ETA- and the real kicker was that the phone on my HTC Incredible, which has been out forever, is easily a superior camera. That, to me, was inexcusable. This is supposed to be a top shelf, cutting edge device. It should at least be superior to 2 year old devices, no?

2011-09-10_14-16-48_289.jpg

photobucket-2801-1315778762190.jpg

Just 2 pics taken with Bionic ..

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with either of those shots, but neither screams "good camera". The camera on my Incredible will do that or better.

And that is my point, I would expect a superior camera on a device that is 2 years newer, you know what I mean?

I guess the bottom line is, that the Bionic's camera will take pictures, but not any better than 2-3 year old devices. Maybe I am expecting too much, but I would think that the devices camera should evolve with the rest of the technology. And not just that, but if you dont make some effort to avoid it, the Bionic will produce terribly grainy and poorly focused/exposed shots. Not an easy camera to just snap a quick, decent shot.

alboboy10

Reaction score
My thunderbolt is consistent with good shots. Idk why people try to prove how great their camera is...lol. HTC batteries generally sucked until recently, motorola cameras are still horrible. Those are known facts.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
My thunderbolt is consistent with good shots. Idk why people try to prove how great their camera is...lol. HTC batteries generally sucked until recently, motorola cameras are still horrible. Those are known facts.

You just contradicted yourself lol

alboboy10

Reaction score
You just contradicted yourself lol

Contradicted myself how. The fact that motorola cameras are horrible is a known fact just like HTC makes phones that eat your battery alive. Two flaws from the two companies. I was comparing the two