Camera issue continues.....

pilot25

Reaction score
Has anyone gone back to Verizon to get a replacement phone? If so, were you successful in finding a working model?

I called the store I bought it from and they said they have plenty in stock to come in and swap it out. I can't get there until tomorrow afternoon but I was wonder what the experiences out there have been.

I read there is a patch coming but it's far too late after the 30 day window.

Zippster

Reaction score
I went to mine today and techs said that Hard Reset was fixing it for some, did nothing for mine but clear all my stuff so I had to reload it.
They didnt offer exchange phone and I didnt push it at this time ( I was in the dam store so long I just wanted to gtfo lol ) He did say that they were issued a bulletin and advised of a software release coming. ( did not have a date though )

Think I'll give it another week or so for some of the dust to settle and probably get one then. As you stated, 12/11 is going to be over 30 days for most of us.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
Went to the verizon store today and got a new phone but same problems. One of the two demo units in the store worked. There were two other people in the store with the same problem. We did soft resets and hard resets with no fix. They WOULDN'T put notes in my account that stated if the software patch came out after the 30 day window and still didn't fix the problem I could get a new one. I asked if we could just keep opening new boxes until they find one that works but they would only do one replacement.

Very disappointed. If the patch doesn't come out in 28 days it's going back.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Went to the verizon store today and got a new phone but same problems. One of the two demo units in the store worked. There were two other people in the store with the same problem. We did soft resets and hard resets with no fix. They WOULDN'T put notes in my account that stated if the software patch came out after the 30 day window and still didn't fix the problem I could get a new one. I asked if we could just keep opening new boxes until they find one that works but they would only do one replacement.

Very disappointed. If the patch doesn't come out in 28 days it's going back.

I don't see why they wouldn't put it on your account, if the patch comes out after 30 days and doesn't fix it, i would imagine they will have ALOT of people screaming in their ears.

Bully

Reaction score
They swapped mine out no questions asked after seeing the camera getting all red and not being able to scan a barcode...swap out one works almost perfect...maybe one red in 10 instead of other way around

Zippster

Reaction score
Mine won't get a green to save it's life lol.

Same here....:frown:

I think a big problem I am seeing at my stores is comparable to a couple other posts I have read, alot of these service people havent touched a droid until they get mine in there hands, so now you have to explain the issue, then how to use your phone, then how to reproduce the issue that they will have no clue if it is an issue due to lack of knowledge about the phone. :blink:

Bully

Reaction score
Mine won't get a green to save it's life lol.

Same here....:frown:

I think a big problem I am seeing at my stores is comparable to a couple other posts I have read, alot of these service people havent touched a droid until they get mine in there hands, so now you have to explain the issue, then how to use your phone, then how to reproduce the issue that they will have no clue if it is an issue due to lack of knowledge about the phone. :blink:

What I did was after trying the hard reset (which didnt work), went to market downloaded bar scanner brought it into store and said see focus wont work. They really couldnt argue when they tried about 3 barcodes and took about 8 pics with no luck getting a green. Bout 15 minutes later walked out with replacement.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will go back and see what they say, but if they won't give me a new one and won't add a note to my account, i will keep a csr over the phone and demand their manager. explain whats going on, if they still refuse, then we might have some issues.

Stigy

Reaction score
Can anyone record a video of the sound its making?

Mine sounds motorized when it tries to focus. It doesn't make the sound on the G1, but my Point & Shoot makes a similar noise when its trying to noise.

The "clicking sound" you hear isn't high pitched NOR does it sound motorized does it? Or does it sound like something is actually loose.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No it's the camera actually TRYING to focus, but it doesn't and then seats itself right back to where it started.

Stigy

Reaction score
Well mine does that, but while its doing it makes a motorized sound like its sorta "zooming" in on the subject.

It takes a while to focus, but most of the time I do get greens and able to scan bar codes. BUT when it doesn't want to focus I could sit there for 2-3 minutes trying to scan a bar code.

Not sure if mine is faulty or what...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that's what i mean, it makes that noise while trying to focus. I like using FxCamera while trying out the zoom, it shows the red or green like on it before you take the picture.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Here is a qucik pic from mine to compare. Same graininess when viewing full size.

200911081528008241897.jpg

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah it's like the camera isn't as good as it's suppose to be, who knows that might be part of the software that doesn't work.