camera focus

granitemon

Reaction score
Using motorola droid (original) non rooted, running 2.2.

Been having issues with the camera focus. It seems like I can take 10 shots of the same thing, and maybe 2 of them will come out crystal clear.

First, let me tell you how I take "test" photos.
I set an object, preferably something with writing on it about 6 feet away. Take a pic. Then, I go in 2 zoom levels, and see how clear the writing is. Its usually a bit fuzzy, though every now and then I get clarity that is amazing.

On a hunch, I fashioned a stand for my droid. A way I could take shots with no chance of movement. The result? Crystal clear pics every time.
Yes, the droid is EXTREMELY sensitive to movement. There must be just enough shake in my hands to blur the focus. Oh, and my hands are very still.

I've tried different camera apps, even those that claim "stability" but same results.

Short of getting a tripod, what can I do?

Here is a list of apps that I've already tried:
Stock camera, pic paint, 360, vignette.

I also read a news review from back in january, stating image stabilization. Either it does not have it, or its not working on my phone.

Help!

droid.user

Reaction score
Agreed

Something needs to happen to fix the focus issue. Everyone recomends cleaning the screen, thats not the problem. My phone will choose to focus when it wants...which is hardly ever. I read that certain "silent" updates were supposed to fix, but to no avail.

jerroedr

Reaction score
I third this notion. Whats the dang deal? There has got to be a fix somewhere

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
O/P as it seems to me you have a little bit of camera knowledge, so I hope I am not telling you something you already know, but it is just a cellphone camera, and the unfortunate part about it is the Droid's camera is becoming inferior with the release of the Dinc and DX which have the 8MP cameras and still even these cameras have the limitations of being attached to a cellphone

I have a few high end Canon cameras and the image stabilization on the smaller one still requires your hands to be pretty steady, so on a cell phone I just don't see this technology/hardware required being squeezed in such a tight space

I still own the Original D and my wife the Dinc, as I said there is improvement in the two, but nowhere near what you are looking for.

jerroedr

Reaction score
Its true, and i only have focus problems in zoom. unzoomed comes out clear as day.