Calendar Sync

neil

Reaction score
So...I use a Palm Centro which conveniently syncs with my Outlook calendar that I use extensively. The main reason I got a Palm was because it integrated my Outlook contacts and calendar so well with my phone. I know Droid syncs with Google Calendar, but will it sync with my Outlook? I don't really like Google Calendar because of the lack of color coordination. I would hate for this to be my only reason I don't want a Droid.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This question for me seems to get mixed answers. Similarly many ask whether or not it will sync their email with outlook system. I have only seen mixed answers on that subject. When it comes to terms of just contacts and calendars, I know that there are apps out there that can do that for you. I wouldn't want you to miss out on a new phone just because of something like that.

moshek258

Reaction score
I am also a Palm user who syncs with standalone Outlook (IOW no exchange) and was all excited about purchasing a droid until i heard about this issue.

My understanding (please correct me if i am wrong!) is that the droid will NOT sync directly with standalone Outlook. I can't fathom how they can release this product without supporting standalone Outlook syncing out of the box. Palm and BB have supported this naively for years.

This defeats the purpose of keeping my private information out of the "cloud" not to mention possibly violating multiple NDA's I have signed over the years.

For me and i suspect many other small business owners this is a deal breaker.

Please please fix this!

ZX-10R

Reaction score
This is my problem also from what i understand you Must have Google mail
another plus for the Droid Eris..

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do believe that companionlink.com is what some of the folks here will be using to do that. But I would hope that it doesn't take long before they do this natively.

DSS

Reaction score
This is an older thread, but for others who need to know this info, here is what I found out...

The Motorola Droid syncs nicely with stand-alone Outlook calendar but you need to do a couple things first:

1. You need a gmail account -the google calendar application is used as an intermediary between Outlook calendar and the Droid.
2. Add your gmail account to the Droid phone. (steps 1 & 2 can be done at the same time if you create the account from your phone)
3. From your PC, download and install the free Google Calendar Sync application on your PC (access it from Google Calendar). It will show up an an icon in your tray.
4. Right click the icon in the tray and select Sync and you should be all set.

The Droid does not sync with your contacts with stand-alone Outlook. You can get them into Droid by first exporting from Outlook to a CSV file and then importing them into your gmail account. The Droid contacts will match the contacts from your Gmail account. (thereafter. if you add a contact in Outlook, you have to manually add it to gmail or your phone, too, and vice versa)

I believe if you have Microsoft Exchange, you wouldn't need to do any of this - you just set up a corporate account on the Droid and it syncs everything.

DSS

Last edited:

moshek258

Reaction score
DSS Thank you for your reply but i am afraid that you miss the point of this discussion completely.

I will not under any circumstances share my calendar or my contacts with Google, Facebook or any other third party.

"Eric Schmidt's privacy policy is one scary philosophy" - http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/48975

Droid does NOT sync with Outlook directly, something my Palm did 10+ years ago? As my kids like to say FAIL. EPIC FAIL.

It's OK i am now a proud owner of a Blackberry Storm 2 which 1) works great and 2) syncs very nicely with my Outlook.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
DSS Thank you for your reply but i am afraid that you miss the point of this discussion completely.

I will not under any circumstances share my calendar or my contacts with Google, Facebook or any other third party.

"Eric Schmidt's privacy policy is one scary philosophy" - Eric Schmidt's privacy policy is one scary philosophy | NetworkWorld.com Community

Droid does NOT sync with Outlook directly, something my Palm did 10+ years ago? As my kids like to say FAIL. EPIC FAIL.

It's OK i am now a proud owner of a Blackberry Storm 2 which 1) works great and 2) syncs very nicely with my Outlook.

Then why'd you say "Please fix this" if you've got a pos Storm 2. It's not your problem anymore is it? Good. Now the door to Crackberry is this way......:icon_ devil:

Blackberry Storm 2. Don't make me laugh.:p

DSS

Reaction score
I was answering Neil's post, not yours Moshek258.

moshek258

Reaction score
Hmm..i don't know....oh yeah i remember......maybe because i posted that comment BEFORE i bought the Storm. Please do laugh the world needs as much as it can get :)

moshek258

Reaction score
And i appreciate the info being a support guy myself!

I think it is critical that people realize the real risk they are taking by turning over their personal information to Google/Microsoft/Facebook/whoever.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
And i appreciate the info being a support guy myself!

I think it is critical that people realize the real risk they are taking by turning over their personal information to Google/Microsoft/Facebook/whoever.

Right, because RIM doesn't have any of your personal information or access to it do they?:byeBB::r_c: