Calendar Questions

big007hed

Reaction score
Before I get into the problem let me give you a brief description:
The Droid X is my first android phone (and I love it ), I am coming from a BB. I have Corporate Sync setup and it works beautifully with my network.

Now my problem is when creating a appointment in the calendar for my corporate account and I try and set a location it uses whatever location I put as a email address. So in Outlook it doesn't show the location it shows that entry as a event attendee. Is there anyway to change this and just be able to type a location for the appointment?

I know people are going to say buy Touchdown and other apps like but right now I just don't have the extra cash for an app.

Thanks in advance. This site has been extremely helpful already to me. dancedroid

OP
big007hed

big007hed

Reaction score
?

No ideas? Could it be a Exchange setting, connecting to Exchange 2007, or is it a phone setting?

Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want you to think you're being ignored. I don't have an answer for you and couldn't even begin to tell you where to start on this issue.

You've probably tried this already but I'll ask anyway. Have you tried to Google this? See if somebody else maybe has the same situation? Problem is that the X is still very new and this question, at least to me, is very perplexing.

OP
big007hed

big007hed

Reaction score
I don't want you to think you're being ignored. I don't have an answer for you and couldn't even begin to tell you where to start on this issue.

You've probably tried this already but I'll ask anyway. Have you tried to Google this? See if somebody else maybe has the same situation? Problem is that the X is still very new and this question, at least to me, is very perplexing.

Sounds good, I understand it is not being ignored I am just at a lost.

Yeah I Googled, I do that first so someone doesn't call me out as a n00b or anything lol

Well since no one else has replied it seems to might just be the way it connected to my account so I might just have to redo it.

With the X being new I figured info for any not so common problems might be hard to find. Thanks for the reply though.

OP
big007hed

big007hed

Reaction score
An update on this:
If I create a calendar appointment for my GMail account the Where (location) line saves it correctly instead of as an email address. Just trying to narrow it down if anyone else has any further ideas.

kevroc

Reaction score
I just tested this after reading your post and have the same problem. It's not going to be in your exchange or account settings, it looks like its a calendar issue on the droid itself.

The "Where" field on the droid is coded as an email field (noted by the little head symbol with plus sign at the right of the field. So it's only expecting a valid email address to be entered there. As opposed to the "What" field which is just a straight text entry field. I'm thinking someone just coded that field wrong and it's supposed to be a plain text field but no one caught it in testing.

After looking at this a little further I think they (Motorola) are doing this intentionally.

I looked up a prior appointment I had entered in Outlook with a location designation (GotoMeeting) since I was doing it online. When I looked at that on the Droid the GotoMeeting part was hyperlinked and when clicked took me to the maps application. So I entered a dummy appointment with myself as the "where" and sure enough, it's hyperlinked and uses my address to show me where the appointment is. A handy feature if you are always going somewhere offsite for meetings and want easy directions to the meeting location, but burying that into a valid contact w/email record isn't very efficient.

OP
big007hed

big007hed

Reaction score
I just tested this after reading your post and have the same problem. It's not going to be in your exchange or account settings, it looks like its a calendar issue on the droid itself.

The "Where" field on the droid is coded as an email field (noted by the little head symbol with plus sign at the right of the field. So it's only expecting a valid email address to be entered there. As opposed to the "What" field which is just a straight text entry field. I'm thinking someone just coded that field wrong and it's supposed to be a plain text field but no one caught it in testing.

After looking at this a little further I think they (Motorola) are doing this intentionally.

I looked up a prior appointment I had entered in Outlook with a location designation (GotoMeeting) since I was doing it online. When I looked at that on the Droid the GotoMeeting part was hyperlinked and when clicked took me to the maps application. So I entered a dummy appointment with myself as the "where" and sure enough, it's hyperlinked and uses my address to show me where the appointment is. A handy feature if you are always going somewhere offsite for meetings and want easy directions to the meeting location, but burying that into a valid contact w/email record isn't very efficient.

Thank you for trying this out, makes me feel a little better knowing it is not just happening to me. I spoke with Motorola support today and they had absolutely no idea what to do, I did remove the account and restart my phone and then readd it and it still did the same thing so they were lost.

I asked if they had 2.2 for me to try on my phone ( tried to be sneaky) and they said they didn't and wasn't sure if it would correct the issue either.

What I find weird about this problem is that D1 doesn't have the same issue.