Calendar is now gone from phone

chris79

Reaction score
My wife told me the other day that the calendar app is missing from her phone. She has the stock ICS update. She is not rooted. I cannot find calendar anywhere on the phone or looking through the all applications. Any idea how she could have deleted the system app from the phone without root access? The calendar sync option does show up in her Google account and syncs fine. I did find another app called Jorte today in the market that appears to sync with Google calendar but the app sucks.

acejavelin

Reaction score
It can't 'easily' be deleted, but it is possible (though very unlikely) for a misbehaving app or a malfunction to occur that could delete it...

Double check Settings-Apps-All and scroll down to the very bottom, you may see some stuff that is "Disabled", if the calendar is there try Re-Enabling it. The app is called "Calendar" and can be disabled in the apps section.

If it is not there at all anymore, I would seriously suggest a factory reset of the device... when a system app disappears (not disabled or other user related cause) for no reason and no real explanation, especially on a non-rooted device, I think only a few things: Virus, trojan, misbehaving app,corrupt firmware, bad hardware. And a factory reset should eliminate the first three, and the last two a factory reset should be an early troubleshooting step anyway.

OP
C

chris79

Reaction score
I will check tonight to see if it is disabled. She doesn't want me to factory reset her phone cause off all the games and apps and doesn't want to start over again. She doesn't like change but said this other calendar app will do.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I will check tonight to see if it is disabled. She doesn't want me to factory reset her phone cause off all the games and apps and doesn't want to start over again. She doesn't like change but said this other calendar app will do.
I have had some issues Re-enabling apps, best thing to do if it is disabled is to re-enable it, then don't try to run it yet... do a full battery pull reset first, power off, remove and reinstall battery, then power up, that usually works best.

Akasha

Reaction score
If you use a gmail account, just log into your account from the web page, not through your email icon. You should be able to find you calendar there and use the backup to reload the calendar back down to your phone. I had the same problem. It took Verizon an hour to find this for me.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
If you use a gmail account, just log into your account from the web page, not through your email icon. You should be able to find you calendar there and use the backup to reload the calendar back down to your phone. I had the same problem. It took Verizon an hour to find this for me.

Huh? Can you explain how to do that, I don't see backup anywhere? Thanks in advnce.

acejavelin

Reaction score
First issue is to get the calendar back... if you can't find it or re-enable it, then you will likely have to factory default or flash an RUU ROM to put the phone back to factory defaults, then restore the information. I think what Akasha is referring to is that the calendar information should be stored on Google IF your calendar entries where Google Calendar entries and not "Phone events". All Google events could still be seen on Google's website, log in with your Gmail credentials and go to https://www.google.com/calendar/render and you should see your info.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Ah ha! All my info is on the gmail website. Nothing I did would get it back onto my phone.
Finally I downloaded the google calendar app and everything auto-magiclly showed up.
That was odd!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

acejavelin

Reaction score
Ah ha! All my info is on the gmail website. Nothing I did would get it back onto my phone.
Finally I downloaded the google calendar app and everything auto-magiclly showed up.
That was odd!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
As long as everything is a Google Calendar event, you should be fine... if you are using Exchange Calendar or other calendar service I am not sure the Google Calendar app will show those. Remember that this is a work-around, not a fix... if you did not get the embedded calendar app back. That being said, if it does what you need, it is good enough I guess.

The fact that is just "showed up" tells me the Calendar Storage "app" is still running and syncing calendars, it is independent of the calendar app. You also look at Jorte or Business Calendar in the Play Store, they are both really good calendar apps as well.