Ca-Fi system adds Android to car dashboards

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
innotrends_cafi.png

Not satisfied with Android on just your phone and tablet? Wondering what it would be like to have that little green Android running your car stereo as well? Well, wonder no more, friends! Innotrends has introduced an Android powered in-dash stereo unit called the Ca-Fi. This (car battery sized) stereo runs on a 1.2GHz processor that houses a monstrous 6.2-inch 800×480 touchscreen display, DVD player, Bluetooth, USB slot, 2 microSD slots and integrated 3G radios for bumpin’ Justin Bieber’s finest, surfing the web (not recommended) or simply using Google’s tried and true Navigation app.

There’s only one small problem. Apparently, the Ca-Fi uses the double-DIN slot which according to ExtremeTech, isn’t too common in many US automobiles younger than 1990. Bummer. I’m not car audio tech, but I’m sure there is some other way to get this baby up and running when it launches Spring of 2012 in the UK.

SOURCE: Ca-Fi system adds Android to car dashboards | ExtremeTech

tommyz

Reaction score
Many cars are double-DIN behind that fancy trim piece. also HD-Radio?

It may not look like your car supports double-din at first, but many times you can get a new trim piece which will allow installation of the radio.

Also, Does anyone know if this supports HD-Radio? I really like the idea of Android in the dash, but without HD-Radio I will have to wait.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
yeah but VZW would charge 20.00 a month for it! Fricken crooks

Chris

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
There's always tethering guys :)

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

rcjames

Reaction score
Is it availble to buy it now? I have a Ford focus 2003 would love to install it into my car.

R

RETG

I'm going to guess that fifty percent of the cars/trucks on the road today have double din capability. Ninety percent of factory NAV systems are double din, and even if not installed, the hole is made for a double din so that if the NAV option is picked it wil fit in.

And some of those single dins have a cubby hole below it for a double din install.

But I'll stick with my standard Pioneer nav systems and XM. Fail to see the advantage of an android car stereo.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm going to guess that fifty percent of the cars/trucks on the road today have double din capability. Ninety percent of factory NAV systems are double din, and even if not installed, the hole is made for a double din so that if the NAV option is picked it wil fit in.

And some of those single dins have a cubby hole below it for a double din install.

But I'll stick with my standard Pioneer nav systems and XM. Fail to see the advantage of an android car stereo.

How do you fail to see the advantages lol. you can get more than xm radio on it and its android!

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Wow. Do want. I'm sure there's adapters for this slot type.

The data connection part throws me though. I've a Droid 2, and the GB OTA update killed my tethering. Be nice if there were a "webtop" type of approach for these things...

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Wow. Do want. I'm sure there's adapters for this slot type.

The data connection part throws me though. I've a Droid 2, and the GB OTA update killed my tethering. Be nice if there were a "webtop" type of approach for these things...

I'm sure there's gonna be a way to get data connection

Big Ry

Reaction score
Too bad its not made by a reputable car audio manufacturer. Even if it has good specs, I doubt it sounds even remotely close to as good as a high end eclipse or nakamichi deck. I wouldn't even give up my old pioneer 9800BT for this thing. Cool concept though.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

azules9780

Reaction score
I'm interested in this and I have a buddy that I guarantee will have this in his car as soon as it's available.