Fuhu Introduces $99 Nabi Jr 5-Inch Android Tablet for the Kids

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nabi-jr-dec-2012.jpg

Fuhu is certainly working hard to dominate the tablet market for kids niche. Not long after introducing the $200 Nabi 2, which has been remarkably well received and won several awards in the press, they announced a new Android tablet. This one is targeted at even younger kids than the Nabi 2 and is called the Nabi Jr. for just $99 bucks. This little 5-inch tablet sports much more modest internals than the Tegra 3 powered Nabi 2, but will probably better satisfy the needs of its target audience. This toddler targeted tablet includes a host of special software features that make it stand out from your basic Android tablet (and even has more on the way in the future). Here's a breakdown of features and specs:
  • Ships with the Wings Adaptive Learning System, (which is an educational software package that teaches kids the three Rs starting at a pre-K level)
  • The tablet also comes with a kid-friendly app store preinstalled
  • Parents also side-load the Amazon Appstore for a larger software selection if they choose
  • Runs on Android Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Includes the same durable red bumper found on the Nabi 2
  • 5-inch display - 800 x 480 screen resolution (which will likely be easier for smaller kids to hold)
  • It includes dual cameras and the front camera even rotates
  • Although it will be unavailable at first, Fuhu intends to release what they call “Toyccessories.” These add-ons will include a cash-register, a karaoke machine, and a “nabi Pet” that responds to how your children treat it.
  • (Fuhu is also planning to introduce a baby monitor that parents can view using their Android phone, complete with infrared night vision, a zoom function, and a sound level indicator)
  • The tablet uses the OG dual-core Tegra processor
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are included as well.
The Nabi Jr is planned to launch mid-December at $99 for the 4GB version, or $129 for a 16GB version. If you beat us to it, please share a link in this thread if you find it at any retailers.

Source: Engadget

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Very interesting, we have been looking for a good tablet to get my 8 year old son for Christmas. We have been leaning towards the Kindle Fire HD so he is not limited by what he can install, but if this can be side-loaded with the Amazon store it might be worth it.

However for 70 bucks more we could get the KFHD.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
This might be something for my 20 month old daughter in about 6 months. She already knows how to unlock my wife's iPhone and turn on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...haha.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
interesting tablet if my daughter was older i would get it for her.. but at 4 months old it will be a while before she is ready ;)

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I think the wife and I are going to buy this for our 2 year old. She can navigate my wife's iPhone easily to get to her videos and games so I am sure she can do the same on the Nabi Jr. She threw my wife's iPhone and broke it so we need to move fast. Will let you know how good it is after playing with it some.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
this is perfect for my 15 months old so i can have my phone back.

Reaction score
I saw it a wal-mart a few days ago. When I got my grandmother's nexus 7

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Picked this up from Best Buy last night for $99, also purchased the 1 year warranty for an additional $30. Pretty cool little tablet. I like the "mommy/daddy" mode, it operates like a regular android tablet with all of the apps in ICS. Will be letting my daughter try it out this evening. I didn't get a chance to load any apps from Amazon store, will try that tonight to get her some Disney TV shows since she is hooked on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Sofia The First.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Man this little tab is pretty cool but extremely finicky, your finger placement has to be just right for it to react correctly, not the best thing for a kid. Just barely touching the screen and it moves to another home screen. Unfortunately my daughter knows how to navigate the iPhone so we are going to take this back and get an iPod Touch. I'm an android at heart but Apple does have better kid friendly apps, namely Disney Junior.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dang! Where was this thing at when my 4 year old (she's 5 now) was slowly confiscating my Galaxy Tab 10.1 because she'd outgrown her Leap Pad and my Fire was "boring" to her? The only time I see it anymore is when it needs charging. She's not allowed to mess with plugs.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Co-worker's Nabi that she bought a few months ago was getting too hot apparently a few nights ago

She called 'em, and they told her to cut it off ASAP and they'd send out a new replacement one ASAP.

Now that's service.....

henji

Reaction score
Have Fuhu Nabi 2 and more!!!

Great product!
Now, fortunately, technology has evolved to help supplement children’s learning and give them a massive head start on their education!
Today's generation is lucky, there are many brands of tablet launched together with the app store for free.