buying an s3 tomorrow. good decision? nice step up from the bionic?

jwilly216

Reaction score
Hey guys i still love my bionic but i just got some extra money and i figured id use it fir an s3-
I'm buying the Samsung galaxy s3 tomorrow.
Is this a good decision?
Huge 4.8 screen...
I'm gonna buy a standalone charger w an extra battery since it's removable (thank you sammy)
S-voice might be cool and I'm looking forward to trying the feature that knows when ur looking at your phone
1.6 ghz cpu with
2 gb RAM....

Good decision?
Id rather have the note 2 but that's almost December n i can't wait that long-
I just want the best phone out at the moment

bbtkd

Reaction score
Hey guys i still love my bionic but i just got some extra money and i figured id use it fir an s3-
I'm buying the Samsung galaxy s3 tomorrow.
Is this a good decision?
Huge 4.8 screen...
I'm gonna buy a standalone charger w an extra battery since it's removable (thank you sammy)
S-voice might be cool and I'm looking forward to trying the feature that knows when ur looking at your phone
1.6 ghz cpu with
2 gb RAM....

Good decision?
Id rather have the note 2 but that's almost December n i can't wait that long-
I just want the best phone out at the moment

In good conscience few here could tell you it is a bad move. The Bionic is starting to get dated, and has not been well supported. If I was up for a new phone today, I would consider the S III, as well as the upcoming RAZR HD MAXX. But - alas - I'm not eligible until spring, and even then need to make the leap to a limited family plan. That said, I can live with my Bionic since I've had few real issues.

marleyinoc

Reaction score
Hey, if you use a ton of data, or more than share everything or whatever allows affordably, look into adding a line, getting that phone with whatever plan is available but with understanding you intend to knock it down to an added line ($10 mo), and switch phone to your unlimited line.

Tell them what you plan to do and make sure its still possible. But that's how I got my fiancé her s3 when she wasn't due an upgrade but we wanted to keep her unlimited data. This was before the end date for that promo of getting s3 without losing unlimited were she eligible for an upgrade. We needed a line for her son so went ahead that route.

I'm pretty sure that's a way to go that wasn't a dated thing and so is still possible. You pay $240 ($10x24) + cost of phone at discounted new contract rate, so you're not getting over, which is why they probably allow that, but if your tight on money it beats paying full price all at once. I guess its like paying $10 extra to keep unlimited so your data use will sort of make or break whether this is route for you. That and whether you can just spring for phone at full price.

My plan is to move my phone to that line when my contract expires so we won't really end up paying that $10 the whole time (but I've yet to cross that path of whether I can keep my unlimited when we do that so maybe we won't, though I think they said that was doable too).

Just a thought. Sorry for really long sentences and excessive background info.

-I haz Bionic

Last edited:

bbtkd

Reaction score
Hey, if you use a ton of data, or more than share everything or whatever allows affordably, look into adding a line, getting that phone with whatever plan is available but with understanding you intend to knock it down to an added line ($10 mo), and switch phone to your unlimited line.

Tell them what you plan to do and make sure its still possible. But that's how I got my fiancé her s3 when she wasn't due an upgrade but we wanted to keep her unlimited data. This was before the end date for that promo of getting s3 without losing unlimited were she eligible for an upgrade. We needed a line for her son so went ahead that route.

I'm pretty sure that's a way to go that wasn't a dated thing and so is still possible. You pay $240 ($10x24) + cost of phone at discounted new contract rate, so you're not getting over, which is why they probably allow that, but if your tight on money it beats paying full price all at once. I guess its like paying $10 extra to keep unlimited so your data use will sort of make or break whether this is route for you. That and whether you can just spring for phone at full price.

My plan is to move my phone to that line when my contract expires so we won't really end up paying that $10 the whole time (but I've yet to cross that path of whether I can keep my unlimited when we do that so maybe we won't, though I think they said that was doable too).

Just a thought. Sorry for really long sentences and excessive background info.

-I haz Bionic

We did this too, for our son who at the time was suffering along with a Palm Treo and wanted a (now OG) Droid. Heck of a surprise for Christmas.

Good advice on asking first and not assuming you keep unlimited data. Even though they didn't make that change to the unlimited plan until July, in May we switched my daughter to an iPhone 4S and I noted the next day that they switched it to a 2GB plan without asking. The reseller store said their system forced that and they couldn't override it. They had to file an "appeal" at a VZW company owned store, and it switched back to unlimited a few days later. I've heard that any account change - such as a new phone - loses you unlimited data by default. The store may need to "appeal" or "override" - if they understand they can, if they know how, and if they are willing. Also, you may have better luck at a VZW company store.

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
Sorry i should've mentioned that i already figured it how to keep my unlimited data by using the upgrade on my moms line and switching phones

bbtkd

Reaction score
Sorry i should've mentioned that i already figured it how to keep my unlimited data by using the upgrade on my moms line and switching phones

OK - but don't assume that this will allow you to retain unlimited data, because by default I believe that any change to your account or plan - including changing phones - will result in loss of unlimited data. To keep it, they may need to override the default - if they can and are willing to try.

marleyinoc

Reaction score
Probably your Mom's line looses unlimited then, if it has it. Just do it on the up and up ;) Good luck!

-I haz Bionic

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved thread to S3 general discussions.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
I got my s3 :) thanks for all your help
I got my s3 and kept my unlimited data! I found a loophole so now I can Use upgrades whenever I want
The thread wasn't intended to be about the loophole so sorry for leaving that part out. This doesn't help the single line people but I just had to give my mom my upgrade, use the alternate upgrade to get the s3 on her line then put her LG dare back on her line and they just stuck MY microSim into the s3.
Using this method, I can use upgrades whenever I want and still keep many unlimited.

Last edited: