Buy now or wait?

thehirsches

Reaction score
If you had a BB and were within your upgrade period, would you buy a droid or incredible or would you wait for the summer when, supposedly, newer models will be arriving?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
There will ALWAYS be new models just around the corner. Unless you're considering leaving VZW and going to Sprint for their new 4G phone or to AT&T for the fourth generation iPhone, no new models from Verizon for the next few months will significantly outperform/outfeature the models now available.

If you want a physical keyboard, go with the Droid. But be prepared for the fact that it probably won't measure up to the physical keyboard on your BlackBerry (depending on the model you have.) If you want an easily "rooted" phone, go with the Droid.

Otherwise, the Incredible follows the standard rule of thumb...Always buy the latest technology.

psrumors

Reaction score
I was on a BB Tour and had the same dillema. I figured I'd use the 30 day trial and try the Moto Droid, picked it up Saturday. Boy am I glad I did. It is SO much better than the BB all the way around. It took me a couple days to get use to the Droid but WOW what a great phone.

Don't wait, go get one. Any new models will require time to hack these are hacked and only getting better.

jtcampbell

Reaction score
I came from the Tour to the Moto Droid back in December. It was a big change, getting used to the new OS, etc. BUT - I can assure you that the Moto Droid or the Incredible will both have way more options and features than any of the current Verizon BlackBerries.

About the keyboard issue - the Droid keyboard is quite different from the Tour keyboard, but it will still do the job. I haven't had a problem with the Droid physical keyboard, nor the touch screen keyboard - both work well for me.

The Moto Droid is easy to hack - IF you know what you are doing. I would make sure that I watched several of the rooting videos on this site, and read up before attempting. Otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem rooting, and yes, it is an even better phone if you root it and put a good ROM on it. I personally like the ROM I am currently running, called Simply Stunning.

If you need a physical keyboard, obviously you would want to go for the Moto Droid. If you can handle a touch screen keyboard and want the latest software and best of the line phone with Android - go with the Incredible.

Hope this helps.

OP
thehirsches

thehirsches

Reaction score
I like all the bells and whistles of the Incredible, but its hard to beat the Droid for $20. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Wait for summer. Around July Motorola is releasing 2 phenominal phones. The Shadow and Droid 2.

If you can't wait jump on the current Moto Droid. The developer community behind it is phenominal. Just on these forums alone you can see the amount of developer support and customizations available.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
thehirsches

thehirsches

Reaction score
cereal killer,

You say to wait for the newer phones to come out, but from what I can find, there is no scheduled date for release yet on the Droid 2. Have I missed finding the date?
I don't mind waiting till July-ish, but one poster said it could be november-ish and I am not sure if my PoS Storm 1.0 will last that long.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Wait for summer. Around July Motorola is releasing 2 phenominal phones. The Shadow and Droid 2.

Have they said the difference between the droid and the droid 2 if all the phones get the upgrades, or is the outer shell the only real difference?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you had a BB and were within your upgrade period, would you buy a droid or incredible or would you wait for the summer when, supposedly, newer models will be arriving?
I would probably get the Droid or N1, depending on the carrier I was looking to go with as I'd want a Google experience phone over one with an OEM UI. However, what I'd do doesn't really matter. What you want/need is what is relevant. That's really the problem with any of these types of threads IMO. Not all former BB users are the same in what they're looking for. Selecting a smartphone is about finding what suits you best so please share what you're specifically looking for besides "Android" and "cheap".

There will ALWAYS be new models just around the corner.
This. Waiting just means that there will be different newer models on the way.

If you can handle a touch screen keyboard and want the latest software and best of the line phone with Android - go with the Incredible.
Is the Incredible going to have the latest software (specifically the Android OS) in the future, considering that it has Sense?

You say to wait for the newer phones to come out, but from what I can find, there is no scheduled date for release yet on the Droid 2. Have I missed finding the date?
Another reason to consider your needs/wants instead of those of other people. Personally, I don't count on rumored release dates as they're unreliable and can slip. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
OP
thehirsches

thehirsches

Reaction score
please share what you're specifically looking for besides "Android" and "cheap".

Another reason to consider your needs/wants instead of those of other people.

Cheap is not one of the requirements. The good deal on the Droid was a bonus, but I want something with enough power to not become a paperweight within the next year.
My storm has served me well for the past two years and before that I had AT&T 81XX Windows based phones that did OK.
I am not a power user and am not even sure what rooting is or why everyone thinks you have to do it. I will download a bunch of random games and other app to enjoy, but mostly I want a great phone, good web surfer, good emailer, decent texter, a good video player (cartoons for the kids make for good eating out experiences), digital camera replacement and something I can put ebooks on. If I get into the Android culture, I may get more into all the hardcore stuff I see discussed here, but that's not the key.
Does that help with a requirements list?

Codiusprie

Reaction score
I got the Droid and March and I couldn't be happier. Then I rooted and it got even better. I really like the physical keyboard and I have large hands (not sausage fingers, just big hands), I have the htc on screen keyboard and while it is growing on me I would not want it as a replacement for the physical keyboard.

If you can't wait jump on the current Moto Droid. The developer community behind it is phenominal. Just on these forums alone you can see the amount of developer support and customizations available.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Where did you get this information? Everything I have read says fall at the earliest for the Droid2. The Droid isn't even a year old.

snappingfish

Reaction score
I just checked Verizon, and BOGO FREE

please share what you're specifically looking for besides "Android" and "cheap".

Another reason to consider your needs/wants instead of those of other people.

Cheap is not one of the requirements. The good deal on the Droid was a bonus, but I want something with enough power to not become a paperweight within the next year.
My storm has served me well for the past two years and before that I had AT&T 81XX Windows based phones that did OK.
I am not a power user and am not even sure what rooting is or why everyone thinks you have to do it. I will download a bunch of random games and other app to enjoy, but mostly I want a great phone, good web surfer, good emailer, decent texter, a good video player (cartoons for the kids make for good eating out experiences), digital camera replacement and something I can put ebooks on. If I get into the Android culture, I may get more into all the hardcore stuff I see discussed here, but that's not the key.
Does that help with a requirements list?

At least for today (who knows how long) Buy the DROID by Motorola and Get One FREE! (with 2yr activation per phone)

So, thats TWO Droids for $199 after all is said and done. Its like cars and golf clubs-unless you buy two per year, you WILL be a little behind the curve. NO ONE is going to release a device that is the end-all, do-all for two years to come. Technology move steadily forward, and waits for no one!