Bringing up contact list when using Messaging

Wasisnt

Reaction score
Is there a way to bring up your contacts when using messaging so you don't have to type them in manually? I know it does the auto fill and you can do multiple contacts but is there a way to see all your contacts and just select them one by one?

Normally I just go to contacts and then do message from there but would like to be able to do it from Messaging.

sfinchler

Reaction score
I'm frustrated by the same thing. If I go to my contacts I can create a text or email but if I go to compose one I can't get to my contacts. For emails it doesn't even do auto fill. I really hope they improve the email capabilities in the December patch.

Sue88

Reaction score
Download Handcent. It allows all kinds of customization of your texting environment. I just checked (since I couldn't understand what the OP was frustrated about) and when I hit the "compose" button I can either hit a plus sign to the right to get all my contacts, or start typing in the "to" field and it suggests who I mean. Works great.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Handcent will solve your issue. As stated in the post above... you can either type in the contacts name and auto-fill will help you or you can click on the menu button and then the "+" and pick contacts from the name list. Enjoy!

OP
Wasisnt

Wasisnt

Reaction score
Handcent looks like it will do the trick. Too bad the built in messaging app wont take care of business!

Thanks

Xris

Reaction score
Hancent is good.. but it's damn intrusive lol. Plus I don't like it's formatting... the popup is nice, though.

Just curious, though (truly, no offense intended), what's the hangup where you would need to get your contact list? I know a lot of people are asking for this feature, but I have a hard time understanding why... Is it just an unwillingness to adjust to the (faster) method of typing 2 or 3 letters of their first or last name and tapping them? Force of habit? Don't actually KNOW the names of people you're TXTing (creepy :p)?

I'd love to be filled in, I hate not understanding someone's perspective :D

OP
Wasisnt

Wasisnt

Reaction score
Why do you say its intrusive?

Its actually not really a big deal to type the names, it was more of curiosity thing than a must have. Plus I was used to being able to do this for so many years on my previous phone and thought the messaging app should have the feature built in to begin with.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with my messaging as well, it maybe the same problem other are having but when I'm in messaging my auto-complete from the contact list fails to find my contacts. For example I type "ky" to attempt to get kyle but the only name that pops up is kyleigh...will handcent fix this?

docholiday

Reaction score
Handcent looks like it will do the trick. Too bad the built in messaging app wont take care of business!

Thanks
I was having the same issue being used to the contact list popping up and finishing the name for me, but like you guys say, "there's an app for that."