Bought the extended battery...BATTERY LIFE STILL NO GOOD

outkastragtop

Reaction score
The title says it all. I got the extended battery and it worked great the first two days...now im noticing that its performance has declined. If i may simply explain, with the stock battery i would charge my phone overnight, wake up and go to work and the battery would be at about 20 to 30% by 1pm (i would unplug at about 730 am every day). Then i got the extended battery and it was lasting almost 12 hours. Now its back to dying aroud 1pm again after unplugging at 730 am. I have tried everything on the forums here, LITERALY, except a factory reset. I do run alot of widgets and use the web and text messaging alot but that's why i BOUGHT this phone. Does anyone have any suggestions at this point? I need to know if this is abnormal because its quite frustrating.

By the way, i always have gps, blutooth and wifi toggled off.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You've mostly worked around the droid x no sleep bug by turning off gps and wifi when not in use but that's not enough. You can actually turn those back on and do this:
phone settings > location & security > use wireless network > UNCHECK

...theoretically. If that doesn't seem to work for you then here's what I've seen that seems to work:
-turn off GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.

The update should fix all that, by the way. You'll be able to turn them back on.

In addition, you might want to update PRLs by dialing *228 if your cell standby is high.

If all that is done, you still might have an app/widget/live wallpaper that's using your juice. For example, people were having a problem where the facebook app was having trouble syncing all of their contacts so it ran down the battery. To figure out what's using your battery, you can dial *#*#4636#*#*

OP
O

outkastragtop

Reaction score
I have done *228 to update and also to activate phone. I need to see what is killing the battery. It may be the syncing of all these acounts so i will try that. I appreciate the response.

Saqs

Reaction score
Theres definitiely something up with this damn phone. I went from 100 to 20% in 5 hours of moderate use with the extended battery. No wifi, no GPS. 1 phone call and messages being sent via GTalk pretty frequently.

Rishi P

Reaction score
I feel your pain here I am very close to buying an extended battery myself, but I do get about 12 hours a day with the regular battery and I guess thats good for a smartphone?

I really was hoping that it just wouldn't drain so damn fast...maybe i'm just too used to my old phone since it wasn't a smartphone....but this battery thing is def frustrating as all hell....what are we to do if we can't even use the phone for it's purposes??

and in turn, will this update bring miracles to the battery life or what....i am banking everything on this stupid update right now....

Lightninrod

Reaction score
Low to non-existent 3G signal is eating my battery I think. I just reported it to VZW today. Their map showed my neighborhood covered by their 3G signal but the CS said there could be a dead spot at or around my home.

OP
O

outkastragtop

Reaction score
I always have my phone set to battery saver mode so the brightness is on auto. As for usage...display is currently at 86% and im at 20% battery. The display is always around that high.

I too am hoping that froyo fixes my battery problem but im not even sure where those rumors started.

And regarding the poster above who states that he gets 12 hours on his STANDARD battery, well i would kill for that even on my extended. What sucks most is that the first day i had the extended it did last over 12 hours but now its back to what i previously described. Im at a loss.

jazzmang

Reaction score
I get 32 hours on my extended, about 23 on my standard. Running 2.2 leak. I did a full wipe before loading 2.2, as my attempt to "upgrade" made the phone unbelievably laggy.

just4747

Reaction score
Also getting no better battery life on my extended battery, maybe just a smidge some days. Every day is different but for the most part it's still horrible.

Most people and myself have tried everything, so don't even bother suggesting the usual to us, it's been done. Don't know what else to do.

mac16

Reaction score
Also getting no better battery life on my extended battery, maybe just a smidge some days. Every day is different but for the most part it's still horrible.

Most people and myself have tried everything, so don't even bother suggesting the usual to us, it's been done. Don't know what else to do.

You act like there is nothing else you can do, but there is a guy right above you getting 24 hours on a standard battery.

Therefore there is something you are missing...

garath

Reaction score
I always have my phone set to battery saver mode so the brightness is on auto. As for usage...display is currently at 86% and im at 20% battery. The display is always around that high.

I too am hoping that froyo fixes my battery problem but im not even sure where those rumors started.

And regarding the poster above who states that he gets 12 hours on his STANDARD battery, well i would kill for that even on my extended. What sucks most is that the first day i had the extended it did last over 12 hours but now its back to what i previously described. Im at a loss.

What's your signal like throughout the day? Do you have access to wifi?

Having travelled a lot in the last few weeks I've found that when I'm at home, with a good signal and a steady wifi connection (I leave it on), I go the full day (8am through midnight) and the phone is usually around 50% when I put it on the charger (moderate use but that's very subjective). What's not subjective is when I'm in a poor signal area like the 44th floor of a downtown chicago building and no wifi, I'll be at 30% by 8pm with the same average usage.

I've done all the little tweaks, gps off, brightness down (btw, auto only means it stays 100% until it reaches 30% battery then it turns down to 60% or something, I'd manually adjust that), etc etc. Signal is the biggest killer of battery life.

TheJester34

Reaction score
There has to be something else you can do. I'm unplugging at 6 AM amd still having 20% by 11 PM. 17 hours consistently

OP
O

outkastragtop

Reaction score
Ok, i would like to reboot and install 2.2 and see if that works. To the poster above, is your phone rooted or did you just manually update to 2.2 because that's what im going to try next. To the above poster who stated that signal is the biggest killer of battery life, i have surmised the same and it would be totally logical considering that almost THE ENTIRE TIME that my phone is on, the 3G status shows NO SIGNAL or goes in and out of signal. Im going to factory reset today and load 2.2 and see how that goes. Anyone know how i can do so without rooting?

jazzmang

Reaction score
Ok, i would like to reboot and install 2.2 and see if that works. To the poster above, is your phone rooted or did you just manually update to 2.2 because that's what im going to try next. To the above poster who stated that signal is the biggest killer of battery life, i have surmised the same and it would be totally logical considering that almost THE ENTIRE TIME that my phone is on, the 3G status shows NO SIGNAL or goes in and out of signal. Im going to factory reset today and load 2.2 and see how that goes. Anyone know how i can do so without rooting?

Yup! Its easy! BTW I never rooted my phone.

You'll need to find/download froyo's update.zip and place it in the main directory of your SDCARD.

Once you're ready, do this:

1 Make sure your battery is charged.

2 Turn off your phone fully.

3 Press and hold the power button and home buttons simultaneously. After a moment, you'll see the triangle/android icon show up.

4 Press the search button (rightmost hard button). You'll see a menu pop up.

5 Use the volume rocker to move the highlight down to 'wipe data/factory reset' and execute it.

6 When thats done, use the rocker to navigate to 'apply sdcard:update.zip'

7 Sit back and relax. Took about 10 full minutes to do it all.

8 Once its complete, select the reboot option.

9 Let the phone reboot and give it several minutes to fully load.

Done!