bought phone second hand am being told it is rooted so what do i do????also a superus

sniper022

Reaction score
Some please get me going what rom do I use and how and what is this superuser permission apparently it is just black

D

dankarlinski

superuser is an app that allows you to access system files to edit them.

if you are rooted, your biggest "cool" thing to do is use a custom rom. i personally use fission. follow this link to learn about the rom > http://www.droidforums.net/forum/fisson/109906-rom-fission-2-4-3-droid2-vanilla-generic-android-aosp-like-fission-rom-manager.html

but here is a basic overview of what you can do

ROM: a rom is basically a new operating system so to speak. updating to a custom rom is like going from XP to vista (as an example.) the same basic features are there, but have been modified and altered for ease of use or other reasons

Theme: a theme is installed "on top" of a rom. it installs a pre-set bundle of images to replace ones already in the system (i.e. changing title bar color, text color, keyboard, etc)

Recovery: revocery mode is what is used to install any system files. because files are always in use by the OS, you need to boot into recovery so you can replace ALL of the files that need to be replaced. this is kind of like command prompt on a windows PC .

Clockwork: Clockwork is (in my opinion) the most common and easiest recovery to use. it is flashed using the "rom manager" app in the android market. once the recovery is installed, you can basically do anything yo want to your phone. be careful tho, deleting the wrong files can brick your phone.

SBF: SBF is the only way to get out of a bricked phone (assuming you can still get to bootloader) it is wiping and installing all files on your phone. this is the same concept how the manuf. programs it before shipping.

Bootstrapper: the bootstrapper is only needed for droid 2, droid x, and a few other phones. the reason a bootstrapper is needed is because motorola locked down the stock recovery and bootloader, so a custom revocery cannot be "installed" what the bootstrapper does is injects code into the startup sequence that tricks the phone into booting into custom recovery (clockwork)

hope this helps..... let me know if you are confused about anything

solar

Reaction score
Look in the hacks section and there should be a tutorial for removing root access. Sometimes simply doing a hard reset will cause you to loose root. Take a look in there though, there should be something useful.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

solar

Reaction score
Sorry, I must have misread your post header. Looks like you want to keep root! as you should! my bad!

D

dankarlinski

here is a link to a thread with multiple topics that you might find interesting regarding root.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/11102-all-one-popular-threads-read-before-posting.html

You don't HAVE to use any ROM. The device can be rooted w/ superuser and you can leave it at that.

If you choose to, you can load ROMs, Kernels, themes, etc. :)

some good links...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

and each ROM will have install instructions.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/custom-roms/

and i spent all that time typing those..... luckly work is slow! lol

OP
S

sniper022

Reaction score
K thanks what do I need to down load first. And what rom seems to be the best for Droid 2 and one more thing what is nanadroid

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

D

dankarlinski

i would get Z4root to verify the root. once your phone is offical with Z4, you will need to download "rom manager" from the android market. it is put out by clockworkmod

you need to flash the latest recovery from inside the rom manager app (the first option)

you need to then download droid 2 bootstrapper from the android market ($2.00 USD)

as for a rom choice, you are pretty much limited to apex, fission and jrummy (rom choice being limited has to do with locked bootloader)

i use fission, and i love it, but i have use all of the 3 above, and they are all great

so a summary of downloads

-z4root (use it to perminant root)
-Rom Manager (use it to flash recovery)
-Droid 2 bootstrapper (use it to get into recovery)
***note that rom manager's "boot to recovery" option will not work ***

then look at the roms. like i said, there are only a few to choose from, but i stand behind fission

OP
S

sniper022

Reaction score
OK so I went to do the flash recovery and got an error occurred while trying to run privaliged apparently and I down loaded bootstrap and it keeps telling me to download recovery through Tom manager

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App