Bottom line it. Is the Motorola Droid better than the Iphone 3gs?

mjs31

Reaction score
the iphone is a great device. its so popular that many developers are making apps for it because it generates them money while endorsing their apps at the same time due to the volume of its users. however, after using it for some time, the excitement of it wears down due to the fact that the phone itself lives strictly by apple's fences..

if i want a device, specially if i bought it on unsubsidized price, i want it to work for me and do whatever i want with it for me and not what the company specifies it should do. i agree with all the security risks that this might cause, but it is mine!

at the end of the day, after all the excitement wears off, you basically have an "eye-candy" of a phone that is tied to a network incapable of bringing out its true power..

i'm not saying the droid is perfect. it still has isuues of its own as well but it is truly better than iphone plus its on the best network.

so hopefully after the december update, most of the droids issue will be addressed.

This I agree with...I bought the Iphone on a Saturday and had a blast, Sunday I was still talking it up and downloading some very polished apps for it (like the other reviewer mentioned), Monday...still having fun, but there are only so many fart type apps that can make you happy. Tuesday, I realized my reception just sucked (not an Iphone thing so to speak, but ATT in my area bites), Wed...fun started wearing off and I realized this was as good as it was going to get. Thursday...decided to return in and go back to my Blackberry...ended up doing this on the following Saturday. Fact is....it and the apps are polished...no doubt about it. However, this has happened over a few years. Once the apps wear off, you realize nothing is ever going to really change. With the Droid, and the Open OS, the future is the exciting part. So again, if you want the consistentaly, but eventually boring, Iphone then go for it. Droid is not as polished at this time or is any Android system....however, unlike the Iphone...there is a future of big advancement. Yes, they have a polished app for that, but you can only buy so many apps before you realize nothing is new.
And please remember...it has now been 8 days since the release of Android 2.0 and the Droid. Yes, 8 days....so give the apps some time. Even tweaks like open home and GDE have not been able to get things fixed yet. 2.0 is a big step for Android so app makers need time.

Oh yeah...it will also be 8 days (in 1 hour 20 minutes) since I bought my first Android phone, the Droid and gave up Blackberry. Unlike the Iphone....I have not even given it a second thought. Issues yes, but damn, what a future and that is what gets me.

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
Completely useless question. Sorry but it is strictly opinion oriented. The iPhone is a great and trendy phone. The Droid without question matches up to it, while the layout and operating system is much more professional and less teen-targeted like the iPhone is.

mjs31

Reaction score
the iphone is a great device. its so popular that many developers are making apps for it because it generates them money while endorsing their apps at the same time due to the volume of its users. however, after using it for some time, the excitement of it wears down due to the fact that the phone itself lives strictly by apple's fences..

if i want a device, specially if i bought it on unsubsidized price, i want it to work for me and do whatever i want with it for me and not what the company specifies it should do. i agree with all the security risks that this might cause, but it is mine!

at the end of the day, after all the excitement wears off, you basically have an "eye-candy" of a phone that is tied to a network incapable of bringing out its true power..

i'm not saying the droid is perfect. it still has isuues of its own as well but it is truly better than iphone plus its on the best network.

so hopefully after the december update, most of the droids issue will be addressed.

This I agree with...I bought the Iphone on a Saturday and had a blast, Sunday I was still talking it up and downloading some very polished apps for it (like the other reviewer mentioned), Monday...still having fun, but there are only so many fart type apps that can make you happy. Tuesday, I realized my reception just sucked (not an Iphone thing so to speak, but ATT in my area bites), Wed...fun started wearing off and I realized this was as good as it was going to get. Thursday...decided to return in and go back to my Blackberry...ended up doing this on the following Saturday. Fact is....it and the apps are polished...no doubt about it. However, this has happened over a few years. Once the apps wear off, you realize nothing is ever going to really change. With the Droid, and the Open OS, the future is the exciting part. So again, if you want the consistentaly, but eventually boring, Iphone then go for it. Droid is not as polished at this time or is any Android system....however, unlike the Iphone...there is a future of big advancement. Yes, they have a polished app for that, but you can only buy so many apps before you realize nothing is new.
And please remember...it has now been 8 days since the release of Android 2.0 and the Droid. Yes, 8 days....so give the apps some time. Even tweaks like open home and GDE have not been able to get things fixed yet. 2.0 is a big step for Android so app makers need time.

Oh yeah...it will also be 8 days (in 1 hour 20 minutes) since I bought my first Android phone, the Droid and gave up Blackberry. Unlike the Iphone....I have not even given it a second thought. Issues yes, but damn, what a future and that is what gets me.

I do want to add that for all the Iphone polished apps, nothing was there to actually modify your Iphone to much. Changing your vibrating options for calendar, amounts for calendar, major ringtone and vibration mods for the phone where just not available. Even when Jail broke this was very limited. Fun toy for a while, but just not as great as the hype IMHO. With the Android system, if I dont like the vibrations, notifications amounts I can actually create my own custom ones. Even with Blackberry I could never actually use an app to create a vibrations EXACTLY how I wanted it. You could technically do Morse code and spell out each contacts name if you like although I don't know Morse code :icon_ devil:

mjs31

Reaction score

Completely useless question. Sorry but it is strictly opinion oriented. The iPhone is a great and trendy phone. The Droid without question matches up to it, while the layout and operating system is much more professional and less teen-targeted like the iPhone is.

Yep...it is fun to be opinionated though...even though it gets me in trouble LOL. I do agree....but I also believe that the die hard Iphone and BB users will defend their phones at all costs, while deep down, knowing something big exists in the Android OS. It was funny to read the Storm 2 forums on CB and have them start posts like Verizon has another Lemon in the Droid...only to find out (3 pages later) that they had looked at one post on the Android forum in CB and saw someone had a resetting issue. I laughed my ass off at the reach on this one. People just want to defend their choices. Yes, they could say the same for us, but I truley believe this is different. I have never been one to lie about a phone, and I can say without a doubt, that I LOVE this phone. Yes, it has issues (the copy and paste option for gmail just sucks), but they will get better. The Camera bites, especially compared to the Iphone (giving credit where credit is due), but much of that will get fixed. Video blows the Iphone away IMHO.
I know the Droid is not my last Android phone and that is what I love most. The future of Android is fricking amazing. I love looking at Utube for what phones are coming up on this system....truely revolutionary for phones IMHO. I can see a lot of money being spent since I like the newest ones :icon_eek:

And please dont get me wrong...I was a long time Mac user and really believe it is a great system. I was a long time BB user and believe it is a great business phone. I just believe that things like Windows 7 and Android OS are showing what is possible and these companies are not going to just sit back and say "why change it if it is working". That is boring to me and the fact is....oh oh...long time phrase coming.... "if you are not moving forward your are moving backwards".

The funny thing...as I think about this one....I cannot think of one thing that is just keeping me on the Android side. I really don't have an answer. I mean I use phone cams at work all the time, but yet, I am dealing with the Droids cam. It is just something that I love in this system that the Iphone and BB did not have.

Last edited:

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
...Yep...it is fun to be opinionated though...even though it gets me in trouble LOL. I do agree....but I also believe that the die hard Iphone and BB users will defend their phones at all costs, while deep down, knowing something big exists in the Android OS. It was funny to read the Storm 2 forums on CB and have them start posts like Verizon has another Lemon in the Droid...only to find out (3 pages later) that they had looked at one post on the Android forum in CB and saw someone had a resetting issue. I laughed my ass off at the reach on this one. People just want to defend their choices. Yes, they could say the same for us, but I truley believe this is different. I have never been one to lie about a phone, and I can say without a doubt, that I LOVE this phone. Yes, it has issues (the copy and paste option for gmail just sucks), but they will get better. The Camera bites, especially compared to the Iphone (giving credit where credit is due), but much of that will get fixed. Video blows the Iphone away IMHO.
I know the Droid is not my last Android phone and that is what I love most. The future of Android is fricking amazing. I love looking at Utube for what phones are coming up on this system....truely revolutionary for phones IMHO. I can see a lot of money being spent since I like the newest ones :icon_eek:

yeah i'm a CB member too and i do love my tour especially the KB and the bright LED and i was curious as to what others think of the droid so i looked at some of the posts on both the storm2 and tour forums..

some of them makes sense but others are just plain absurd! playing with the droid in the store for 15 minutes or so is not enough to justify the device.

plus reading others opinion is in no way comparable to having the device on your hands and playing with it.

so it kinda makes me sad that when sometimes when you see posts of supposedly "comparing" of devices turn to bashing.. :mad:

jimboman

Reaction score
My opinion is similar to everyone else's so far. There is no real way to compare the Droid and the 3GS (which I also love), because they provide different experiences to different types of users.

They both make calls, provide email and SMS support, and provide for a range of cool apps. My personal preference is from a potential point of view. Android is exponentially more potential than Iphone's OS, and the Droid (so far) uses the most of that potential. On the flip side, the Iphone is for the more general user who doesn't want or need to have that kind of potential, but still wants enough bells and whistles to provide them with a "smartphone" experience.

In the end, comparing these two phones is like comparing a Formula 1 race car to a Top Fuel Dragster.... it all depends on what kind of racing you like.

bigjohn

Reaction score
Yes there are a few things I'd change like;
A button to instantly go to phone.
One touch wake up.
Droid Rocks iPhones Socks!

isn't the button to go to phone the "phone" button?

isn't the power button one touch wakeup?

darreno1

Reaction score
Well I had an iPhone 3g for a year and I must say, it was very big disappointment once the cool factor wore off and I had to get down to some real work. It was sluggish, buggy, and the apps (even some of the native ones) crashed often. The phone app was disappointing as well and would drop calls all too often. Some of it was network related, others was the phone itself. NONE of the updates seemed to solve the problem and it was not just my phone, as a visit to the Apple forums verified. I finally sold it on Ebay.

I've played the 3Gs and to me, it's just a faster version with some extra features. Yeah the hardware is different but what's sad is some the same issues that plagued the 3g still exist. According to the forums, multiple acquaintances and a few coworkers who have them, call quality and dropped calls still occur and the app crash issue haven't been completely solved (to name a few). So in terms of overall stability, I'd give the nod to Android. Even WebOS on my Palm Pre was much more stable.

The screen? Well there is absolutely no contest here. The iPhone's looks like an etch-a-sketch compared to the Droid's when held up close side by side. A coworker with a 3gs could not put the Droid down when I handed it to him, asking 'how much?' and 'is it on At&t?', lol.

The UI? Well it seems Apple went to a kindergarten for design tips. In their quest for simplicity, they seemed to have gone to great lengths to keep important aspects away from the average user, requiring multiple swipes and clicks just to find certain settings (e.g turning things on, off like Wifi, bluetooth etc). Android is better in that regard and there are apps to make this even simpler. With the iPhone, it'll probably need to be jailbroken for similar apps to be installed. So for UI intuitiveness, I give the nod to the Droid. IMO, like someone said, simpler isn't always better. If Grandma wants to make a call with the Droid, turn it on and the phone icon is right there. Same for email. I don't see why it needs to be any 'simpler'. Multitasking is another area where Android is superior (imo). Hold the home button and voila!

The only area where the iPhone is 'better' is in smoothness. The UI animations are a little smoother and of course scrolling in the web app is as well. I'm sure a patch for Android can improve that so while the iPhone has the upper hand here, I don't see it as anything significant and in day to day use I'm not bothered by it in the least.

Some people say iPhone apps are more 'polished'. Polished as in functionality? Or polished as in looks? The equivalents I've downloaded to the Droid seems to function just fine, although they may have a different layout or slightly different look. If that is what 'polish' is then I couldn't care less, as long as they function. I'll say this, I have yet to have one crash. Can't say the same about my past iPhone experience. I'm sure some apps for the iPhone may have more functionality but I haven't come across any yet. I'd really like to hear from people, which apps they found were more functional on the iPhone.

The speaker? The Droid's is clearer and louder.

The camera? For now the iPhone's might take better pics although I'm not entirely convinced yet. Hopefully when they workout the software kinks, we'll get a better idea. I'm very happy with the pics I've taken so far.

Video recording? I haven't tried it yet, but from the videos posted on the web, I'd say the Droid's is noticeably sharper and more vivid, so it's 1 for Droid, 0 for iPhone.

Lastly, I'd just like to touch on the whole syncing thing. Yes, everyone knows about itunes and it does make the out-of-box experience easier for iPhone users but a sync app DOES exist for the Droid (and probably works on other phones) and its available on Motorola's website. I haven't read through the entire manual so I'm not sure it's mentioned (my guess is it's not) but it's called Motorola Media Link (by Nero). It a little rough around the edges and doesn't have all the functionality of itunes, but it's very easy to use and allows syncing of music, videos, pictures etc. And it also allows for updates to the phone. It's free as well. Other options such as DoubleTwist will also get the job done. So I don't think it's fair to say there isn't an easy option, or the Droid has to be hacked to sync. To me, the Droid is more flexible in that it allows removal of the sd card for direct copying as well as media sync. And to be frank, iTunes is garbage compared to Songbird or DoubleTwist to name a few.

So it's obvious where I stand: Droid is better! Period! The iPhone is great but it's way over-hyped IMO just like Apple products in general. To each his own.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to mention GPS/turn-by-turn nav where the Droid eats the iPhone for lunch.

Last edited:

PridgNYC

Reaction score
iphone_or_droid.png

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Iphone games trump Android. with the iphone, i feel like i have the PSP or DS, there are games of this quality, and for cheap too. and this won't change until the Android OS can install apps onto the SD card.

besides the games, droid is better overall for all the reasons stated previously.

jailbroken iphone + cydia = moto droid IMO... but ATT coverage is the dealbreaker

hackthedroid

Reaction score
The most important question to ask yourself is what do you want/need out of a phone? This thread reminds me of the tired old debate on Mac versus PC. It all depends on what you are looking for. Neither phone is perfect, or ever will be.

I don't own a Droid yet... I've never been on Verizon's network so I can't make those comparisons. Is AT&T's network perefect? Hell no. They drag their feet rolling out services (MMS and tethering which we have had to hack around to get). Their 3G footprint is woefully lacking. Dropped calls? You betcha!

I own a 2G, 3G and 3G S iPhone. I like the design and tight integration with my Mac. I don't give a damn about trendy, not why I bought them. If you are a Mac owner you might love that you can effortlessly sync your address book, mail accounts, music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, audiobooks, and applications with the phone. I like using iTunes I don't have a problem with it. Are you a Windows user? Do you hate iTunes? Then probably not for you if you can't find other options.

To respond briefly to a couple posts (I read them all, and wanted to provide some balance, I'm not trying to instigate anything), someone mentioned walled garden. Well since no one has rooted a Droid yet, you should have an excellent view of Motorola's walled garden. I can jailbreak my iPhone so I can do anything I want right now. I'll be very interested in getting a Droid once it's rooted.

Someone mentioned comparing the brightness of the screen to an iPhone. Did you adjust the brightness level on the iPhone? It's set to a low setting by default you know.

People kept mentioning simplicity. "Simpler is not better" - is a vague statement, and not everyone has the same needs so it's a moot point. Would you enjoy a more highly complicated and difficult life or an easier life? I bet most everyone on the planet would say easier.

As far as the anti jailbreak statements, I don't get those. Android tweakers are awaiting rooting their Droid. Same thing. I don't care what you call it. You want more options.

There were comments on updates to the iPhone and having to rejailbreak it. Yeah well what about those forced OTA updates that kept taking away root from G1 owners? At least Apple doesn't force you to take an update, you decide whether to apply it or not.

Someone said iPhones all look the same, and that the Droid has three screens to customize. There are a few million iPhones that don't look the same and they come from the jailbreaker crowd. We have up to eleven screens to customize and we can use folders on the phone's screen as well.

So weigh your options and make your choice. You should probably play with both phones for a while first.

Last edited:

mjs31

Reaction score
Well I had an iPhone 3g for a year and I must say, it was very big disappointment once the cool factor wore off and I had to get down to some real work. It was sluggish, buggy, and the apps (even some of the native ones) crashed often. The phone app was disappointing as well and would drop calls all too often. Some of it was network related, others was the phone itself. NONE of the updates seemed to solve the problem and it was not just my phone, as a visit to the Apple forums verified. I finally sold it on Ebay.

I've played the 3Gs and to me, it's just a faster version with some extra features. Yeah the hardware is different but what's sad is some the same issues that plagued the 3g still exist. According to the forums, multiple acquaintances and a few coworkers who have them, call quality and dropped calls still occur and the app crash issue haven't been completely solved (to name a few). So in terms of overall stability, I'd give the nod to Android. Even WebOS on my Palm Pre was much more stable.

The screen? Well there is absolutely no contest here. The iPhone's looks like an etch-a-sketch compared to the Droid's when held up close side by side. A coworker with a 3gs could not put the Droid down when I handed it to him, asking 'how much?' and 'is it on At&t?', lol.

The UI? Well it seems Apple went to a kindergarten for design tips. In their quest for simplicity, they seemed to have gone to great lengths to keep important aspects away from the average user, requiring multiple swipes and clicks just to find certain settings (e.g turning things on, off like Wifi, bluetooth etc). Android is better in that regard and there are apps to make this even simpler. With the iPhone, it'll probably need to be jailbroken for similar apps to be installed. So for UI intuitiveness, I give the nod to the Droid. IMO, like someone said, simpler isn't always better. If Grandma wants to make a call with the Droid, turn it on and the phone icon is right there. Same for email. I don't see why it needs to be any 'simpler'. Multitasking is another area where Android is superior (imo). Hold the home button and voila!

The only area where the iPhone is 'better' is in smoothness. The UI animations are a little smoother and of course scrolling in the web app is as well. I'm sure a patch for Android can improve that so while the iPhone has the upper hand here, I don't see it as anything significant and in day to day use I'm not bothered by it in the least.

Some people say iPhone apps are more 'polished'. Polished as in functionality? Or polished as in looks? The equivalents I've downloaded to the Droid seems to function just fine, although they may have a different layout or slightly different look. If that is what 'polish' is then I couldn't care less, as long as they function. I'll say this, I have yet to have one crash. Can't say the same about my past iPhone experience. I'm sure some apps for the iPhone may have more functionality but I haven't come across any yet. I'd really like to hear from people, which apps they found were more functional on the iPhone.

The speaker? The Droid's is clearer and louder.

The camera? For now the iPhone's might take better pics although I'm not entirely convinced yet. Hopefully when they workout the software kinks, we'll get a better idea. I'm very happy with the pics I've taken so far.

Video recording? I haven't tried it yet, but from the videos posted on the web, I'd say the Droid's is noticeably sharper and more vivid, so it's 1 for Droid, 0 for iPhone.

Lastly, I'd just like to touch on the whole syncing thing. Yes, everyone knows about itunes and it does make the out-of-box experience easier for iPhone users but a sync app DOES exist for the Droid (and probably works on other phones) and its available on Motorola's website. I haven't read through the entire manual so I'm not sure it's mentioned (my guess is it's not) but it's called Motorola Media Link (by Nero). It a little rough around the edges and doesn't have all the functionality of itunes, but it's very easy to use and allows syncing of music, videos, pictures etc. And it also allows for updates to the phone. It's free as well. Other options such as DoubleTwist will also get the job done. So I don't think it's fair to say there isn't an easy option, or the Droid has to be hacked to sync. To me, the Droid is more flexible in that it allows removal of the sd card for direct copying as well as media sync. And to be frank, iTunes is garbage compared to Songbird or DoubleTwist to name a few.

So it's obvious where I stand: Droid is better! Period! The iPhone is great but it's way over-hyped IMO just like Apple products in general. To each his own.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to mention GPS/turn-by-turn nav where the Droid eats the iPhone for lunch.

Well said. Yes, when I said polished I meant looks...now the original poster may not have meant that. I did go on to say the you can change many things on the Android OS where you cant on the Iphone OS. This comes down to apps as well...not as pretty at this point, but a fart app wont allow you to actually make your own vibrations....Droid is the winner hands down....I am a tough one when it comes to choosing.... and I love just touching this phone...almost as much as touching my....welll you know....:icon_ banana:

No regrets after 8 days and will never look back. Sorry...but primitive is not my nature...oh that is BB....sorry...hands tied is not my nature nor is no major improvements over the years...yes...the apps are there...but what about the OS....getting old.

I am a Droidian...maybe that is the first step in admitting I have a problem LOL

darreno1

Reaction score
To respond briefly to a couple posts (I read them all, and wanted to provide some balance, I'm not trying to instigate anything), someone mentioned walled garden. Well since no one has rooted a Droid yet, you should have an excellent view of Motorola's walled garden. I can jailbreak my iPhone so I can do anything I want right now. I'll be very interested in getting a Droid once it's rooted.

As far as the anti jailbreak statements, I don't get those. Android tweakers are awaiting rooting their Droid. Same thing. I don't care what you call it. You want more options.

There were comments on updates to the iPhone and having to rejailbreak it. Yeah well what about those forced OTA updates that kept taking away root from G1 owners? At least Apple doesn't force you to take an update, you decide whether to apply it or not.

Someone said iPhones all look the same, and that the Droid has three screens to customize. There are a few million iPhones that don't look the same and they come from the jailbreaker crowd. We have up to eleven screens to customize and we can use folders on the phone's screen as well.

So weigh your options and make your choice. You should probably play with both phones for a while first.

There is no strict approval process for Android in terms of apps so you can pretty much load any app on it without needing to root. There's a setting to allow 'unknown sources' to load apps which pretty much means anyone.

You can't do the same for the iPhone without first jailbreaking it. So no, it's not entire the same.

From the ground up Android was designed to be very open. Not so much iPhone OS. Steve Jobs knows what's right for you and needs to have as much control over you as possible.

Last edited: