Motorola Droid Outsells Original iPhone

wil318466

Reaction score
Don't look too deeply into these numbers. We just don't know exactly what they mean.

Remember, the iPhone would have more "trouble" selling their smartphones at first because people just didn't know what these things were capable of doing back then. Sure, there are other devices out there like blackberries, but the iPhone changed all that.

That being said, Verizon has a *HUGE* customer base and had a very big advertising budget for the Droid. That being said, I would expect the Droid sales to be significantly higher than the original iPhones. Thats a downside. The good side is that Droid sold a bunch of phones.

Remember, there are many Verizon customers who've waited on the sidelines for years for a real smartphone to hit Verizon's network. It finally did and a lot of peopel took the plunge. Lets see what happens in the future.

Personally, i'd like to see Verizon embrace Android and become the Droid/Android "unofficial network" with a huge android following. But who knows.. we'll see.

-Wil

bwhite82

Reaction score
I agree that you can't really compare a phone that was a brand new idea at the time with the droid. And I definitely credit Apple for starting this whole craze. BTW, I've never owned one single Apple product (outside of my budget), so "fanboy" cannot be applied to me, I am a happy Droid user. Cheers!

//2 cents

Newps

Reaction score
That being said, Verizon has a *HUGE* customer base and had a very big advertising budget for the Droid. That being said, I would expect the Droid sales to be significantly higher than the original iPhones. Thats a downside. The good side is that Droid sold a bunch of phones.

-Wil

I would say Apple spent a lot more on advertising the iPhone when it first came out. You couldn't escape the ads.

darreno1

Reaction score
The LG Prada came out before the iPhone and was the first mobile phone with a capacitive touch screen. Nothing about the iPhone is truly revolutionary. It's timing was right and it had the brand recognition and loyalty to back it up. And yes, they advertised the heck out of it.

For Motorola, timing was also key and they played their cards right and succeeded. But if the Droid was a crappy product, it doubt it would have sold as well as it did even with Verizon's backing. It backed up the hype and deserves its position.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, using the original iPhone release isn't really comparing apples to apples (no pun intended). How long ago was that and what was the competition? What was the economy like? How many places was the iPhone available? It's like bragging how much money the movie Avatar made when, if you adjusted for inflation, it's only 14th with Gone With The Wind as the highest money maker.

Last edited: