boots in clockwork recovery everytime.

mentalchaos

Reaction score
I have fission on my phone it works just fine, but every time I boot my phone up it goes to the clockworks recovery screen and I have to reboot. How do I stop this?

silver6054

Reaction score
I have fission on my phone it works just fine, but every time I boot my phone up it goes to the clockworks recovery screen and I have to reboot. How do I stop this?
This worked for me

1. Root
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.

sjwoodard

Reaction score
This worked for me

1. Root
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.

Thank you!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I may be wrong as I don't have a D2G, but I think it's set up that way as a safety issue. When a rooted, well any phone, experiences a difficulty such as boot looping, freezing, etc. the first step is to pull the battery and reboot into recovery. We you guys have to go through some steps to get back into Clockwork recovery so they set it up so the phone initially boots into Clockwork every time. It is designed so that way and all you need to do is select reboot in clockwork and the phone will go to the normal boot procedure.

I hope I didn't get that wrong, but you surely should check this out before you disable it.

Good luck.

sjwoodard

Reaction score
Good point. I am not changing any settings these days and if I do get back into changing something I'll be sure and re-enable bootstrap loader.

I also want to say that I changed the method used above to this:

1. Root
6. Rename the file called hijack to hijack.clockwork-bak
7. Rename logwrapper to logwrapper.clockwork-bak
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone

TwoBuells

Reaction score
The first time I installed Fission ROM, I had my phone on for a while, changing things, downloading apps, etc. then I shut the phone off to change the battery. When I turned it on the phone booted into Clockwork Recovery. That was the only time that had happened. I have tried every theme in FRM, and tried a few other zip files with Clockwork Recovery and still never rebooted into Clockwork Recovery on the next time I turned on the phone.

Personally I would not want to uninstall the Bootstrapper app.

(I do understand the the SBF is out and can be used if you get into a problem installing a ROM/theme)[but without Bootstrapper, you would have to start from scratch]

Maybe you guys have a corrupt copy of the Bootstrapper app

sjwoodard

Reaction score
The first time I installed Fission ROM, I had my phone on for a while, changing things, downloading apps, etc. then I shut the phone off to change the battery. When I turned it on the phone booted into Clockwork Recovery. That was the only time that had happened. I have tried every theme in FRM, and tried a few other zip files with Clockwork Recovery and still never rebooted into Clockwork Recovery on the next time I turned on the phone.

(I do understand the the SBF is out and can be used if you get into a problem installing a ROM/theme)[but without Bootstrapper, you would have to start from scratch]

Somebody else on this forum recommended just going into the Bootstrap program and hitting 'Bootstrap Recovery' but for me that never worked. I got the clockwork screen every time until I renamed logwrapper and hijack.

TwoBuells

Reaction score

Somebody else on this forum recommended just going into the Bootstrap program and hitting 'Bootstrap Recovery' but for me that never worked. I got the clockwork screen every time until I renamed logwrapper and hijack.

this is the point we need an expert to jump in. renaming the two files you listed above is just a bandaid. you need the real fix. You will need a good running Bootstrap Recovery to flash more roms/themes at a later date....

sjwoodard

Reaction score

this is the point we need an expert to jump in. renaming the two files you listed above is just a bandaid. you need the real fix. You will need a good running Bootstrap Recovery to flash more roms/themes at a later date....

I've got Fission 2.4.3 running with no problem. And I haven't tried re-installing bootstrap loader because everything else works fine and it's only a small annoyance.

FastCR

Reaction score
I have the same issue, and breaking the bootstrap app isn't a real fix. If I understand correctly, the bootstrap is doing something to make the phone boot into clockwork since the actual recovery can't be reflashed at this point. It seems like the problem is the bootstrap app is setting up to boot back into clockwork every time the phone boots, rather than just when you tell it to reboot into recovery.

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
How Bootstrapper works (as per Koush's site)

According to my best interpretation of this:

Droid X/2 Bootstrapper

Bootstrapper works by doing the following.

When you hit the "Bootstrap Recovery button" the app renames logwrapper to logwrapper.bin, adds a file called Hijack and symlinks a new logwrapper file to Hijack.

At boot when logwrapper is called by init.rc, it calls Hijack (by way of symbolic link) which is how we can load into Clockwork recovery.

When Hijack runs, it checks for a file called /data/.recovery_mode if it finds that file, it unmounts /system and boots into Clockwork recovery, if it doesn't find that file, it creates it and lets the OS boot normally.

When the OS is completely booted, Droid 2 Bootstrapper (the app) deletes the file /data/.recovery_mode. Since the boot was successful, it assumes you don't want to boot into recovery next time.

If on the other hand, the OS doesn't boot normally, and Droid 2 Boostrapper never loads and therefore never removes /data/.recovery_mode, it should let you into Clockwork on your next boot.

Now, when you open the Bootstrap app and hit the "reboot recovery" button, it manually adds the /data/.recovery_mode file and then begins the reboot process. Upon reboot, Hijack finds the file /data/.recovery_mode, and boots into Clockwork.

So my guess as to why Clockwork boots every time:

For some reason, /data/.recovery_mode, isn't getting deleted by the bootstrapper app upon a successful boot.

To prove this theory (or disprove it) someone who has the problem, should check for the /data/.recovery_mode file using Root Explorer after a successful boot. If it's there, thats the problem. Delete it and you should then reboot normally. (although if Bootstrapper isn't automatically removing it, there is probably something else going on...like autostarts keeping Bootstrapper from starting at boot...)

silver6054

Reaction score
Good point. I am not changing any settings these days and if I do get back into changing something I'll be sure and re-enable bootstrap loader.

I also want to say that I changed the method used above to this:

1. Root
6. Rename the file called hijack to hijack.clockwork-bak
7. Rename logwrapper to logwrapper.clockwork-bak
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone
Yes, sorry, I forgot to explain the context of when I used my method. I had a refurb with a hardware fault (in the camera lens) and I needed to return it to VZ. I thought that having the phone boot up into clockwork might just possibly suggest that the warranty need not be honored, (I have no idea if they really inspect returns beyond checking for water damage).

So I had no need to worry about preserving clockwork in case of future trouble. But for other cases, yes, this is a quick fix but may prevent you from easily recovering your phone if there is trouble.

TwoBuells

Reaction score

Droid X/2 Bootstrapper

When you hit the "Bootstrap Recovery button" the app renames logwrapper to logwrapper.bin, adds a file called Hijack and symlinks a new logwrapper file to Hijack.

At boot when logwrapper is called by init.rc, it calls Hijack (by way of symbolic link) which is how we can load into Clockwork recovery.

When Hijack runs, it checks for a file called /data/.recovery_mode if it finds that file, it unmounts /system and boots into Clockwork recovery, if it doesn't find that file, it creates it and lets the OS boot normally.

When the OS is completely booted, Droid 2 Bootstrapper (the app) deletes the file /data/.recovery_mode. Since the boot was successful, it assumes you don't want to boot into recovery next time.

If on the other hand, the OS doesn't boot normally, and Droid 2 Boostrapper never loads and therefore never removes /data/.recovery_mode, it should let you into Clockwork on your next boot.

Now, when you open the Bootstrap app and hit the "reboot recovery" button, it manually adds the /data/.recovery_mode file and then begins the reboot process. Upon reboot, Hijack finds the file /data/.recovery_mode, and boots into Clockwork.

For some reason, /data/.recovery_mode, isn't getting deleted by the bootstrapper app upon a successful boot.

To prove this theory (or disprove it) someone who has the problem, should check for the /data/.recovery_mode file using Root Explorer after a successful boot. If it's there, thats the problem. Delete it and you should then reboot normally. (although if Bootstrapper isn't automatically removing it, there is probably something else going on...like autostarts keeping Bootstrapper from starting at boot...)

now that makes sense, thanks...

Reaction score

Droid X/2 Bootstrapper

You are the first person to ever give me a satisfactory answer to this, from 3 different forums. Thank you.