Booting and battery issue please help.

dizzylish1

Reaction score
Ok just got this razr maxx. Its been sitting for a month or 2 so its been dead. At first plug in it just show the first screen with the M on it. You unplug it its dead. That is through car charger and wall charger. Next I plug it into the computer and a white light comes on. Then after a while I tried fast boot and it goes to a green robot on screen with a blue line below it like its trying to load something but never goes anywhere. Next I made a factory cable but does the same thing. Has the green robot there with the blue line below it like its loading something but nothing happens. Any ideas where to go now?

Thanks
Kevin

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, Kevin... First you need to fully charge the battery. You can do this by using either the wall charger or the Car charger, let it go through its booting sequence (the red M), and it will eventually go into the Charge Only mode where you'll see a large animated battery and percent of charge.

Once fully charged (100%), next, you'll most likely require a re-install of the OS (ROM) using the http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a.html. For future reference, if the phone is going to be sitting for a while and un-used, make sure you charge to 40% to 50% of capacity (NOT higher or lower), and monitor it every 3 months to see if it needs to be re-boosted back to the half-charged state.

OP
D

dizzylish1

Reaction score
When plugged into the wall it just sits there with the letter M and does nothing. I let it sit there for 2 hours. Do you mean hard boot it where the green robot is and let it sit like that for a few hours? With regular cable or factory cable?

Thanks
Kevin

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, but in your first description you didn't indicate that it would not progress beyond the M symbol when using the wall or car chargers, only when connected to the computer via USB. It SHOULD take about 10 to 15 seconds and then go right to the Charge Only mode. If it is not doing that, then you have one of two potential problems;
  1. A failed ROM, somehow corrupted but for whatever reason it's not getting through the initial POST and bootloader
  2. A failed motherboard - though I suspect the first since it does allow you to get to the Boot Mode Selection Menu and choose Fastboot.
If you have a WORKING Factory Programming Cable (the one you made), you can get away with using it to charge the battery but BE CAREFULL!! Don't leave it on for longer than about 1 hour. Also monitor it carefully and if the battery begins to heat up (anything more than mildly warm), disconnect immediately. Using the Factory Charge Cable bypasses the charging and protection circuits and puts power directly to the motherboard and battery together. This can do serious damage, and can ultimately cause a catastrophic failure ending in fire if the battery is left connected to the charge cable for an extended period of time (such as overnight).

You SHOULD be able to copy the Fastboot ROM onto the memory card (using a card reader on the computer), then insert the memory card into the phone, plug the Factory Programming Cable into the phone and once powered with the charger simply execute a Fastboot ROM installation. Since the cable is meant to perform ROM installations without a battery it should be successful.

If you can't get the Fastboot process to work, then your last resort is to download RSD Lite, the Droid RAZR Fastboot .211 and the Motorola Device Manager or simply the Motorola Drivers to your PC, install the drivers and then run the RSD Lite, connect the phone via the Motorola Factory Programming Cable and install the ROM from the computer using RSD Lite.

OP
D

dizzylish1

Reaction score
Ok istalled all the software. Is there any site that does a step by step. I run the rsd but nothing happens.