Boot Into Recovery From Power Off State

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
EDIT: theres now 4 ways to do this. try all of them if you need to get into clockwork!

ok. we all know how the bootloader is locked and bootstrap is a hack to hijack the boot process. and i never read of a way to ACTUALLY boot into clockwork from a power off state. but then i was reading around on XDA and found something about this. started to mess with it and it worked for me and a few other staff members so lets see how this works for everyone else.

i tried a few times to get it right. right now (gummy 2.5, bootstrapped, clockwork also flashed overtop) i can hold the power button and volume down button (both, not releasing the power button) and get into clockwork.

NOTE: clockwork AND bootstrap are both flashed, not just bootstrap. after you flash the bootstrap, go into Rom Manager and choose flash clockwork recovery overtop (its the same menu, just a different way of booting)

Main reason this is a big deal: you can now restore a backup (if it boots correctly) when on a bootloop if you can use this method to get into CW - as long as you dont mess up the files that make CW work (very scientific I know)

-also, as a side note, it sometimes freezes on the M, but just do a battery pull and hold down the two buttons and try again.

lets get some feedback! (double post from DXF)

lets get some feedback!

EDIT: from DF member Jolly, this works (for me and him) too.

Also if you Battery Pull with your phone plugged up to the Charger and put the battery back in wait until it goes into the Charging State, the recharging Battery Icon. When you see that hit the power button and it will take you straight to Clockwork Recovery. Works Perfectly Everytime.
EDIT2: X-Tac23 posted this method. worth trying if the other two dont work
So earlier my phone went into a boot loop, and i couldn't get into clockwork recovery, and I found a trick. It only seems to work when your stuck either at the M or in a bootloop.

First hold the home and the power button till you get the triangle, and from there press the search the button to get into stock recovery. Then simply reboot. That SHOULD put you in clockwork recovery.

I tried this multiple time and it worked every time. Not sure if anyone knows this trick so I tought I would make a thread.

I am not responsible if this doesn't work for your phone. And this is not a way to Unbrick your phone!

EDIT3: xrazedz suggested this and it seems to work too
Hey abe, another method that i have used for months and always works is holding the power and camera button at the same time when powering on the phone and releasing the power button first. Then release the camera button a second or two later and it boots into clockwork recovery.
I have used this method for months and it has worked every time across different roms.

Swyped n sent from my X

Last edited:

Jolly

Reaction score

ok. we all know how the bootloader is locked and bootstrap is a hack to hijack the boot process. and i never read of a way to ACTUALLY boot into clockwork from a power off state. but then i was reading around on XDA and found something about this. started to mess with it and it worked for me and a few other staff members so lets see how this works for everyone else.

i tried a few times to get it right. right now (gummy 2.5, bootstrapped, clockwork also flashed overtop) i can hold the power button and volume down button (both, not releasing the power button) and get into clockwork.

NOTE: clockwork AND bootstrap are both flashed, not just bootstrap. after you flash the bootstrap, go into Rom Manager and choose flash clockwork recovery overtop (its the same menu, just a different way of booting)

Main reason this is a big deal: you can now restore a backup (if it boots correctly) when on a bootloop if you can use this method to get into CW - as long as you dont mess up the files that make CW work (very scientific I know)

-also, as a side note, it sometimes freezes on the M, but just do a battery pull and hold down the two buttons and try again.

lets get some feedback! (double post from DXF)

I thought everyone knew this trick. I use it all of the time. 3 times last night as a matter of fact. Thanks.

Also if you Battery Pull with your phone plugged up to the Charger and put the battery back in wait until it goes into the Charging State, the recharging Battery Icon. When you see that hit the power button and it will take you straight to Clockwork Recovery. Works Perfectly Everytime.

Sent from my Droid X Running TranQ 3.6.0

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
seems like a lot on DXF didnt. and i didnt. so i thought id repost it here.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought everyone knew this trick. I use it all of the time. 3 times last night as a matter of fact. Thanks.

wow that works too. im gonna post that in the other link too on DXF. thanks!

Jolly

Reaction score
No Problem. I took some inspiration from you and Posted the method I use on MDW. Thanks for making me aware not everyone knew this. Let's make sure Everyone does now.

droidforsale

Reaction score
I have LIberty 1.5, installed. Installed Bootstrap and then flashed Clockwork Recovery ontop like suggested in the first post of this thread.

I have tried all four ways, but still cannot boot into Clockwork recovery. any suggestions?

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have LIberty 1.5, installed. Installed Bootstrap and then flashed Clockwork Recovery ontop like suggested in the first post of this thread.

I have tried all four ways, but still cannot boot into Clockwork recovery. any suggestions?

i mean its only a possible fix. if u cant get into clockwork, u can try normal recovery and wipe there. if still nothing, u have to sbf.

droidforsale

Reaction score
Update:

I can now confirm that the battery pull method works. Hooray. Now I can go tinker with the deeper inner workings of Droid X and have a way back, if I get lost.

wcrs22nd

Reaction score
None of these methods have worked for me upon multiple attempts. I recently flashed stock GB .595..Am I missing something that needs to be installed???? Tried gingerbreak to root with no success, so I am on un-rooted GB .595. Thanks for the help.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you soft bricked?
In order to install 595 you have to install 588 first because its updates the kernel.
If you don't then it'll soft brick you (known from personal experience)

FreeMyMoto!!!