Bookmarks Backup?

CrazyBlueVelvet

Reaction score
I dont know if this really counts as a droid problem but i am figuring it is cuz droidx2 makers decided to give it google as a default browser and that is where my problem lies. I want to completely delete my google account which is in the form of a gmail account. Too much spam now, a few stalkers, etc. Time to start over. I still want google and still want gmail for my email and my main user account. I just want my old one wiped out and to make a brand new one. My concern is that i will lose my bookmarks, my apps that are from the google playstore, and my contacts that are backed up using some sort of google based system. Will i actually lose any of this stuff or not? And if so, how do i backup my bookmarks & apps? This may seem simple to most of you, but im no techno wizard with smartphones. So im asking for help. If u answer me on here, thats cool, or u can also email me at [email protected]. thanks:hail:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Are you rooted or would you consider rooting?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
CrazyBlueVelvet

CrazyBlueVelvet

Reaction score
Are you rooted or would you consider rooting?

Forgive my ignorance. Ive seen the term "rooting" but dont know what it is. If its simple and works and wont complicate anything or compromise my phone os, then I'm all for it. Hows it work?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Rooting just means you are gaining full access to system files and folders you don't normally have access to. You won't notice any difference on your phone visually but if you root you can install apps that will backup all user data + bookmarks and you can do a factory reset on your phone to start fresh and then root again and restore your backups.

To backup your contacts though you can go to your contact app right now. Press the menu key and you will see an import/export option. Export to your external card. Then double check and make sure it is on external and not internal. Then when you need them back just import them.

Bratster2

Reaction score
Bookmarks and contacts can be done, apps on the other hand are more difficult if you don't want to use the same Google account, free ones are no big deal just re download from the new account, paid apps on the other hand are tied to the account not the phone, I don't know if Google will let you move apps from one account to another account.

One thing you could do is make a new Gmail account to use for the email but leave the other one on there just set to not sync email. Account (A old one) for apps, account (B new one) for email and contacts and so on

Last edited:
OP
CrazyBlueVelvet

CrazyBlueVelvet

Reaction score
How to root?

Rooting just means you are gaining full access to system files and folders you don't normally have access to. You won't notice any difference on your phone visually but if you root you can install apps that will backup all user data + bookmarks and you can do a factory reset on your phone to start fresh and then root again and restore your backups.

To backup your contacts though you can go to your contact app right now. Press the menu key and you will see an import/export option. Export to your external card. Then double check and make sure it is on external and not internal. Then when you need them back just import them.

So GoCliff, how do i go about rooting? It sounds like a good idea? I go thru verizon, so would i just call their tech support and ask them to help me root my phone?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Lol no no. They don't want you rooting your phone. Its something you will have to do on your own, with our help of course. First I need to know your android version. Go to settings - about phone and read it to me. It will either be 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 (in thinking 2.3.5 but need to be sure.)

OP
CrazyBlueVelvet

CrazyBlueVelvet

Reaction score
Two or more google accounts

Yes i understand what ur saying about multiple gmail accounts. I just hate it that my main account is my proper real name (eg. [email protected]). I was dumb &i let a friend set it up for me and thats what he suggested (which now seems dumb -which i dont know why i went along with it. I should have suggested a made-up name). But once it was done, it was done, and now i'm stuck with it. With hackers and app permissions, etc., i just like not having my real name out there for ppl to find out. (Ive had stalker/hacker problems in the past via my computer). So i want any/all my email accounts to have pseudonyms. I guess i'm just paranoid;). Someone said i could call verizon and have them wipe out my account and phone and then they would let me start over, but that i have to do it thru them and theres no other way. Does that sound correct? (I'm fairly ignorant about this stuff l;)ol).

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If you want to start with a "new" phone just do a factory reset.

OP
CrazyBlueVelvet

CrazyBlueVelvet

Reaction score
Lol no no. They don't want you rooting your phone. Its something you will have to do on your own, with our help of course. First I need to know your android version. Go to settings - about phone and read it to me. It will either be 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 (in thinking 2.3.5 but need to be sure.)

Yes GoCliff, my phone is a 2.3.5. I hope i can follow ur instructions on this rooting thing lol. Ive been thinking of getting iphone cuz ive heard its easier than android, but ive also heard u cant customize it & that ur just stuck with it exactly as it is when u buy it and that u gotta use jailbreak or something to get anything except their own apps. Sounds like its for babies to me.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Luckily root for the X2 was made pretty easy, and now can be done with a program that will give you step by step on screen instructions. The thread for how to do this can be found here [How to] Root 2.3.5/1.3.418.

I'd use the self extracting batch option, as it's the one I used and is very easy. All of the instructions are there in the thread but ask any questions you may have before starting. The only instruction i need to add is when you plug your phone into the computer make sure it is in Charge Only mode or PC mode, NOT USB Mass Storage. Other than that you are good to go.

I want to add that no harm can come to your phone if this process fails at any time. If it fails then you will simply not be rooted and that's it, so there is nothing to worry about.

OP
CrazyBlueVelvet

CrazyBlueVelvet

Reaction score
Rooting My Phone

Oh so I have to hook up to the computer. I haven't had one in awhile (broken), and will then have to pick up a cable to plug the phone in to the USB port (dad's computer)? Will my phone considered to be in "charge only mode" if I have it powered off? Sorry for dumb questions. I'm not a dumb person, but there is just so much I don't know about smartphones and all the other gadgets that have come out (i.e. tablets, phablets, etc.), & I don't have the $$$ to buy all these things in order to keep up with all the technology. Just when I think I'm kind of understanding some of it, it changes. E.g. I have only had this droidx2 phone 19 months and I know it's already considered a dinosaur with it's "gingerbread os" or whatever, and now it's the razr maxx or samsung 3s with "jellybean 4.1" which i just can't keep up with lol. I feel like a person needs a new phone every six months in order to stay current! :frown: thx in advance 4 ur help. I bet I might have to ask a couple more questions!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Yes you'll need to hook up to a computer. You will leave the phone on during this so you don't have to worry about what mode it is in when off. Its recommended to use the cable that came with your phone. If you take the cord and unplug the part that goes into the wall you'll notice it is a USB adapter that will fit computers.

And about the phone Lol yea you would have to buy one pretty often to stay "current." Best thing to do is just find one you like and stick with it.