Bluetooth Voice Dialing a welcome feature with a major flaw

edcoopdeville

Reaction score
First let me say, "Thank You" for finally providing us with bluetooth voice dialing, However, why doesn't it work like other systems that ask you to validate the person your calling before it begins calling who it thinks you said"?

I'm use to pressing my Bluetooth device, then a voice asking me to say the name of the person I want to call, then me saying the name of the person I want to call, then the device asking me if (who it thinks) I want to call is the correct person or not, before it dails them. My Driod merely ask me to say the name of the person I want to call and it immediately dials the number/person it thinks I said, without giving me the options to say "NO". And so far it's been wrong more times than not, And I can't end it via the bluetooth device, unless the person it dialed answers the call (which leaves me having to explain why I called them by accident), otherwise I have to grab the phone from my holster (while driving) and manual end the call.

My questions is, all the other phones I've had prior, that had bluetooth dialing, and they all prompted me to verifiy that the person/number it thinks I said is correct, prior to dialing it! So why couldn't the Driod just follow suit :icon_eek:

R Droid

Reaction score
I'm sure it's an attitude thing. Droid is never wrong. :icon_eek:

HamDog

Reaction score
Download Choice Dialer from the market. It's alot better than the stock dialer on our phones. In Choice Dialer, in the settings, you can set a confidence level before it dials. Set a very low number so it will ask you everytime before placing the call. The premium version costs $4 and does a ton more stuff, such as search for music files on your phone, enable/disable stuff like Wifi, Bluetoot, silent mode, etc. with a voice command. Best $4 I ever spent.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Choice Dialer is good. It completes and extends the basic ability in 2.2 with four bucks worth of extra goodness.

OP
E

edcoopdeville

Reaction score
Just what the doctor ordered!!!!

I just downloaded this app from the Market and after going through the settings, and setting it up as my default voice dialer, it worked perfect.

Now when I press my bluetooth, I hear a beep (which is the signal to speak), then I say my command (e.g., "Call Mom"), then it says "Did you say Call Mom Mobile", then I have to say "Correct or Yes", then it'll dial that person/number. Howvever, if I say "No", then it'll say, "Please repeat the command or say never mind", if I say "Never mind", then it'll say "OK" and hangs up.

Now I should mention that during the set up process, you're given the option to set the level of confirmation, and I set mine to 100% confirmation for everything. But as I toy with it over time, I may modiffy the levels, but for now this works for me.

Also, I decided to pay $4 and get the premium version, but there is a free version, which may have been all I needed, but I decided that since I waited this long just to have the Bluetooth voice dialing, that I wanted as much functionality as possible.

I am now a happy camper :)

tek112

Reaction score
I was thinking about going with an aftermarket solution as well.

My question is, what has changed in regards to the voice dialer. I originally had Sholes with Sapphire on my DROID Original. The bluetooth dialing used to say through my headset "speak now." It would have about a 90% success rate with my Jawbone 2 headset.

I updated to Chevyno1 ULV 1.2GHz kernal. I lost the "speak now" option and it would just redial the last person I called.

I said screw it (Sholes & Sapphire was buggy) and installed the latest Cyanogen 6 and Chevyno1 ULV 1.2GHz Kernel. The phone is for now bug free and I am very happy. However, when I push the button on my headset it launches the Voice Dialer and doesn't register my voice through my headset (or at atleast does not appear to as the recognition is horrible).

I have done a bunch of research trying to find the original BT dialer that came with Sapphire, but with no luck. Can someone please assist me with figuring out what happened?

Thanks in advance.

tek112

Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I don't understand why the BT dialing would change between Sholes and Cyanogen.

gertman

Reaction score
tek112,

I have been using Cryanogen nightly builds of 6 and I think once I updated to CM6 official release I have the SAME issue as you. I thought it was listening through by Jawbone BUT maybe not, but the voice definitely went away. Did you try the Choice Dialer just to see, yet?

tek112

Reaction score
tek112,

I have been using Cryanogen nightly builds of 6 and I think once I updated to CM6 official release I have the SAME issue as you. I thought it was listening through by Jawbone BUT maybe not, but the voice definitely went away. Did you try the Choice Dialer just to see, yet?

I have a fix. You need to downgrade to the previous VoiceDialer.apk found here:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1724

Here are the instructions:

Voice Dialer Broken - CyanogenMod Forum - Page 2

Credit to Jim from Cyanogen for writing this up:

Correct method, as I found (need to be sure to remount /system read only) else risk keeping your /system folder writable = bad thing.

Via Terminal:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
rm VoiceDialer.apk
cp /sdcard/VoiceDialer.apk VoiceDialer.apk
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
reboot

Via adb shell:
adb devices
adb remount
adb shell
su
cd /system/app
rm VoiceDialer.apk
reboot

gertman

Reaction score
Yup, found it right after I posted that and I successfully got my voice back for the voice dialer!! But Thanks

Question:

For this app Choice Dialer is their supposed to be an initial voice that says "say a command" or something like that?

gmmurphy

Reaction score
my razor dumb phone was fantastic. call greg calling greg, droid "call amy" calling boss mobile(at midnight of course) no bail option at all. im gonna pull whatever is on the razor and see if i can turn it into an apk...i would pay a few sheckels for bluetooth dial, oh and the voice,,,arrrgh; is this my wife scratching her nails on the blackboard...

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Yup, found it right after I posted that and I successfully got my voice back for the voice dialer!! But Thanks

Question:

For this app Choice Dialer is their supposed to be an initial voice that says "say a command" or something like that?

There wasn't on the 2 day free version that I installed yesterday and I didn't see a setting to add it. Also, it was wrong more times than the stock dialer, so I gave up and uninstalled it.

HamDog

Reaction score

Nope. You just hear a beep and you talk. I have found Google's voice dialer to be much more accurate than Choice Dialer. But Choice dialer gives a confirmation (depending on how high you set the confidence level in the settings). I usually just use Choice Dialer for music, not dialing since Googles voice dialer is much more accurate.

One thing about both of them: you need a very quiet environment for them to work. Specially for Choice Dialer. If there is any back ground noise, Choice Dialer almost always gets it wrong or doesn't recognize anything. When I'm in the car about to give a command, I roll up all windows and turn down the radio all the way...and hope I'm not driving on the freeway.

I'd say Google's voice dialer would be best if they could just improve it with a confirmation before dialing. It's just amazing how every dumb phone does this very basic function better than our super smart phones.

refthemc

Reaction score
tek112,

I have a fix. You need to downgrade to the previous VoiceDialer.apk found here:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1724

Here are the instructions:

Voice Dialer Broken - CyanogenMod Forum - Page 2

Credit to Jim from Cyanogen for writing this up:

Correct method, as I found (need to be sure to remount /system read only) else risk keeping your /system folder writable = bad thing.

Via Terminal:
su
cd /system/app
rm VoiceDialer.apk
reboot

Via adb shell:
adb devices
adb remount
adb shell