Bluetooth 4.0 vs NFC - Razr vs Nexus

todroid

Reaction score
Am I the only one who appreciates that Motorola is including Bluetooth 4.0 into the Razr instead of NFC and 3.0 as Samsung did with Nexus? If I had to choose a short range communication protocol, I'd choose 4.0, as it has a higher range than NFC. Low Energy Profile (BLE) in 4.0 will allow control of many accessories, while NFC is relatively new technology and other than the payments (which is very limited currently) and the Beam (really?), there's not much to it. The inclusion of 4.0 into all the latest Apple devices will ensure the growth of bluetooth accessories that use BLE profile.
It seems that all the other features are being digested to the fullest, while this one does not get any mention.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Like NFC I'm wondering when you're going to use it.

Like NFC can be used at business establishment, but what about when you're out and about?

I've been a BT "freak" for years. Despite all phones have BT people only use it for headsets. When it comes to stuff like contact/photo transfers people still want to sms/mms them.

I wonder how many average people will use NFC outside stores.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

equake

Reaction score
Wikipedia has a good Comparison of BT 4.0 and NFC. iPhone also has BT 4.0. It probably can be used better for transactions across short ranges.

OP
T

todroid

Reaction score
Wikipedia has a good Comparison of BT 4.0 and NFC. iPhone also has BT 4.0. It probably can be used better for transactions across short ranges.

To me, the ability to get data from variety of constant-on sensors (thermometers, heart rate monitors, etc) is a lot more enticing about the BT 4.0, which is more flexible than NFC. NFC is only near-field, with a very limited range. That's why it is primarily used for payments and on-contact (bump) information transfer. I certainly know which one is more useful to me.

The question is, for the next two years, do you want to bank on NFC, or BT 4.0? Just a thought.
Apple's Adoption of 'Bluetooth Low Energy' Paves Way for New Possibilities - Mac Rumors

Last edited:

lobo13

Reaction score
Also not too many things use NFC, right? I don't think they do. I know in Europe and especially Asia they are making vending machines that use NFC