blue tooth ear piece question

Technoman

Reaction score
no BT enabled vehicle here. Just have the Motorola earpiece. Had to use it today on my way to the airport to pick up the wife, and it seems if you turn BT off of the phone when not using BT in order to save on battery life on the Droid, i had to go back into my settings and "find" the BT device again. What a royal pain in the a$$ to have to do that crap everytime i want to use the BT. :mad:

There is no reason to continually turn bluetooth on and off. It really doesn't seem to use that much battery in stand-by mode. If you don't want to hunt down the options, you can add the "POWER WIDGET" (long press on a home screen - select widgets- and find "POWER"). There is a quick on/off button for Bluetooth, WIFI, Refresh, Brightness, and GPS on it.
ive got that widget on the screen. hit the button to turn on the BT, and yea, it turned it on. But since it had been off, it doesnt appear to "remember" the device you paired with it, i tried. Once i went into settings and did the "find device", then and only then did it find my earpiece and start working with it.

Hmmmm... that's odd. It always finds my T505 and my MotoRoker fine. My issue always seems to be that my work Blackberry will connect to both the T505 and my BT headset, and I have to disconnect it first so that my Droid can connect. I want Multipoint devices so that this doesn't continue to be a problem.

angryGTS

Reaction score
All my other phones, you could just touch the ear piece, and you would hear: SAY A COMMAND, at which point, you simply said "CALL insert contact here. Of course, most of the time the phone would simply say back the name you just did, and you would say YES, and it would dial the contact.

The Droid doesnt do that, at least not for me. Im able to click the voice dial icon, and say the contact name, but its not using the blue tooth device to hear me, its using the phone itself, and of course, if its mounted to my car mount which is stuck to the windshield, half the time it doesnt hear me correctly. Am i missing something, or is this just the nature of the Droid and it doesnt "talk/listen" thru the blue tooth device the way normal phones do? Once its dialed the contact number, then yea, it comes thru my earpiece, but its aggravating as hell to not be able to issue the command via the earpiece.

I have no problems at all using hands free on my DROID, it is not rooted, never been rooted or anything, no apps from the market or anything. The only thing is Im not using a headset but the stock system in my car, here is a very quick video(camera battery dying) of it working in my car.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/playe...obucket.com/albums/ac53/angryGTS/DSCF1206.flv">

****Edit the only reason why the screen was turned on was because I turned bluetooth on when I got in the car to save battery I shut it off when not using it, before anyone has doubts, but you can see the screen does go dark and I did not unlock the screen again when it initialized the call.*****

Last edited:

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
....welcome to the droidforums angryGTS....glad to have you here in the "sane" droid world....knew you'd make it over one minute or the next....these folks appreciate droid owners that ask and answer questions....a great place....

angryGTS

Reaction score
I have heard it does work with Ford SYNC. Best bet is to check out Ford's site and check for phones that pair with it should say what features work. At least Mitsubishi site does

drivinfocused

Reaction score
i will look now and post up if it does, maybe it will help others.....

EDIT: i just looked on the website for Ford SYNC and with my car (2008 Focus) they have not TESTED the droid yet.... the eris has been it looked like, but from what i have read, ppl have used it with Ford SYNC...... if/when i get one i will post back up and let everyone know what it did.........

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
anyone know if they ever got this feature working on the 2.1 update?

No.

No Android phone has this capability. There is a technology available in certain headsets, bluetooths that will allow voice dialing, in a sense, through Android.

I use the Blue Ant Q1. This gives me up to 8 speed dials. Totally hands free. So when I call my wife it's "Call speed dial 2." It remembers the numbers in it's own software and dials it for you. If you really want true hands free dialing then picking up one of these may be valuable to you.

Why Android has chosen not to include this feature is beyond me. It's just the way it is, a serious deficiency but not one that's insurmountable. There is also apps in the market to by pass this but you use the camera button on the phone to make your call.

If you're interested in the Blue Ant Q1 it goest for about 100.00, but I found mine on ebay....a stripped down bare bones version....for 45.00. Brand new just didn't come with the fancy packaging. It also is one of the few headsets that has firmware updates from time to time which you can do through your PC.