Bloatware

Prsterero

Reaction score
Which bloatware is safe to freeze or remove? I read somewhere theres a way to freeze it and if something goes wrong I can undo it to fix force closes or what ever. It had something to do with renaming the files? But does that get rid of them from ur app drawer?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

tjkriegel

Reaction score
You can use Titanium Backup to freeze them or an app such as Root Explorer to change the extensions on apps in /system/app from .apk to .bak or .apk.bak to disable them. They will no longer appear in your app drawer. Doing these to some apps is known to cause a FC issue but a battery pull usually takes care of that.

estobaughn

Reaction score
There are posts over on xda and here listing which ones you can freexe without a hitch. I did all the vcast, social messaging, gotomeeting, etc. i read that the yahoo apps will cause contacts to force close. But just be wary of taking stuff out. I would wait till someone else confirms an app is good to remove before doing it yourself if you are unsure. We have no sbf or custom recovery to backtrack to. So if your phone stops working you are gonna have to figure out someway to get it back.

OP
Prsterero

Prsterero

Reaction score
ya I'm not really a noob when it comes to this so I know about the sbf and all that :)

BAMA74

Reaction score
There are posts over on xda and here listing which ones you can freexe without a hitch. I did all the vcast, social messaging, gotomeeting, etc. i read that the yahoo apps will cause contacts to force close. But just be wary of taking stuff out. I would wait till someone else confirms an app is good to remove before doing it yourself if you are unsure. We have no sbf or custom recovery to backtrack to. So if your phone stops working you are gonna have to figure out someway to get it back.

Yeah I messed with yahoo and it did mess up my contacts cause it to force close and i gave up on getting the stock dialer and contacts back and went to market and got the go dialer/contacts and no force close issues now;)